23 replies to this topic

#1 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:34 AM

Having just broken my crown wheel and pinion I'm looking at these to strengthen the box. Anyone used one and knows what's involved in fitting to the main shaft?
I'll call them tomorrow but trying to find some info in advance.
I'm running a remote change 1128 box with early 14mm input shaft bearing.

#2 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Local Club: cumbria mini cruisers

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:09 AM

What engine do you run? What torque are you putting out?

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 19 August 2018 - 09:32 AM

The idea of them seems good and while I am generally a fan of KAD gear, the issue with this support is that the part of the Mainshaft that it supports isn't all that strong. I've seen quite a few Mainshafts have the end break off them with these and similar supports. When they break, it doesn't render the car undrivable, but you do loose your speedo.

#4 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 09:44 AM

What engine do you run? What torque are you putting out?

MED 1380, 73.5mm 7cc omegas, 11.5:1 cr lightened a+ rods, tuftrided X drilled wedged crank, main bearing strap, MED 37/31 offset valve head, MED 1.5 roller rockers, MED Fia15 historic race cam (649), Kent vernier, ultra light flywheel and back plate, vizarded twin h's on maniflow intake, itg/med stub stacks and filter, aldon red dizzy, large bore maniflow long 3:1 and rc40, sccr gear set and drops, quaife atb, 3.44:1 f/d reduced to 3.76 with 1.09:1 drop gears.
Don't know torque but it made probably an optimistic 138bhp on Peter Baldwin rolling road a couple of years ago.

#5 Thelowrider

Thelowrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 12:14 PM

Only one I’ve had experience with is the MED one, good bit of kit, only thing required for that was a metal sleeve making up to go between the bearing and mainshaft as the mainshaft differed in OD, I checked multiple mainshafts and all varied in OD.

Edited by Thelowrider, 19 August 2018 - 12:15 PM.

#6 AndyR

AndyR

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 19 August 2018 - 12:41 PM

As above.  Its basically a straight swap, if i remember correctly the KAD one requires the mainshaft sleeving to 17mm.  KAD did this for me for not a lot of money.

Andy

#7 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Local Club: cumbria mini cruisers

Posted 19 August 2018 - 12:55 PM

I was just wondering about torque because I don't think many forced induction people run them. Or at least it isn't common practice. I know Simon recently has destroyed a few boxes when he was on low boost at pod and I think he tried one of these

#8 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 01:12 PM

I've got one in mine, but I have to say the speedo stopped working after a big bootfull of boost in 2nd gear, but I've not got around to investigating but I expect it might be the end snapped like moke says.

#9 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 01:16 PM

Also, I'm on the 1128 box, and you'll need to grind away some of the webbing on the kid support to miss the internal gear change mechanism of the remote box. And also sleeve the speedo drive takeoff of the main Shaft so the bearing inner race that comes with the kad support fits.

I did see a billet version (med?) that looked like it shouldn't need molding to miss the gearchange bits

#10 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 05:21 PM

Saw the MED version but it doesn't have the option of a speedo drive which I need as mine is primarily a road car.

#11 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 06:03 PM

Ah! i did not know that! cheers.

#12 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:39 PM

There is (was?) a version that used a different Nut and the Inner Sleeve was built in to that. Might have been the (old school) JKD ones? I'm sure these would have a far less tendency to break.

I've got one in mine, but I have to say the speedo stopped working after a big bootfull of boost in 2nd gear, but I've not got around to investigating but I expect it might be the end snapped like moke says.

Bummer mate.

#13 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:25 PM

Also, I'm on the 1128 box, and you'll need to grind away some of the webbing on the kid support to miss the internal gear change mechanism of the remote box. And also sleeve the speedo drive takeoff of the main Shaft so the bearing inner race that comes with the kad support fits.

I did see a billet version (med?) that looked like it shouldn't need molding to miss the gearchange bits

Still haven't completely ruled the pinion support out yet but didn't get a chance to phone KAD today.
Do you happen know the inside diameter of the kad support bearing?
If 17 mm as one of the above posts suggests then the 3rd motion shaft pinion end is going to have to be ground to an even smaller diameter first ( like the med one) before you can sleeve it.
Thanks.

#14 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:40 PM

Does any one make a shaft out of better quality steel?

#15 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:58 PM

Does any one make a shaft out of better quality steel?

I have looked but I've not found one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users