23 replies to this topic

#16 burchy35

burchy35

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:16 PM

I have a kad pinion support in my swifty dog box which it bolted to a 1460 turbo motor and its all working as it should and coping with the torque. For the small cost of the support compared to the rest of the motor, I thought it made sense in using one for a bit more strength. But I don't launch it from stand still.

#17 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:25 PM

I have a kad pinion support in my swifty dog box which it bolted to a 1460 turbo motor and its all working as it should and coping with the torque. For the small cost of the support compared to the rest of the motor, I thought it made sense in using one for a bit more strength. But I don't launch it from stand still.

I'm getting the impression that these pinion supports work best with a dog box shaft which has a larger diameter in this area over the smaller diameter syncro shaft which needs to be sleeved to fit.

#18 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:15 AM

Does any one make a shaft out of better quality steel?

I have looked but I've not found one.

I am wanting to get a shaft made, but can't find anyone to tell me what steel to use.

#19 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:42 AM

Does any one make a shaft out of better quality steel?

I have looked but I've not found one.

I am wanting to get a shaft made, but can't find anyone to tell me what steel to use.

EN36A

#20 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:00 AM

The Early Minis used an SAE8615 Grade of Steel and this was later up-graded to EN-352.

Both of these are very good steels for this purpose, however, the EN-36A is better again and is more easy to come by.

Any Gearbox Shafting I make, I do in EN-36A and in fact, for most gears, this too is what I use.

#21 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 02:51 PM

on the subject of materials, there was a guy on one of the forums a while back who got some shafts reclaimed by having a bearing surface ( the 1st-3rd motion one one the main shaft) built up by metal spraying, apparently this is a very hard material do you have any knowlege on that?

#22 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 03:26 PM

Rang KAD today, bearing ID is 17 mm so shaft diameter has to be reduced before it can be sleeved.

Edited by imack, 21 August 2018 - 03:27 PM.

#23 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:34 PM

on the subject of materials, there was a guy on one of the forums a while back who got some shafts reclaimed by having a bearing surface ( the 1st-3rd motion one one the main shaft) built up by metal spraying, apparently this is a very hard material do you have any knowlege on that?

I've not done them by spraying but have has a few ground down and then fit a hardened inner race for a Needle Roller, they are available over the counter at most bearing suppliers. I've not done the early small nose, but done a few of the big nose ones, though a few people have done the small nose types too this way, probably be OK with a stock smaller engine.

#24 dotmatrix

dotmatrix

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:48 PM

Rang KAD today, bearing ID is 17 mm so shaft diameter has to be reduced before it can be sleeved.

Just a thought, havent tried it or anything, but what about removing the bearing and fitting a Bush instead? If you dont grind down the shaft maybe the end wont break off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users