#1 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 06:55 PM

Hi All, 

I searched to try and find an answer and I can't, so apologies if this a dumb question.

Just got engine rebuilt it is a A+ in a MK1, using Mk1 loom (new when I rebuilt) and original ancillaries.

So the new engine came with a temp sender in the block, so went with that. however the reading kept being super low, like only a tiny bit past C and the engine seems super hot.

Anyway I earthed out the wire going to the sender and the gauge will go all the way to Hot.

So it must be the sender I presume?  Annoyingly the sender in my old engine is not near me at the moment, so my question is, could the engine builders fitted a later sender, could that be given a false low reading?

I see Minispares have two types:

http://www.minispare...nts/GTR104.aspx

http://www.minispare...sic/GTR101.aspx

How do I tell which sender I have?

Thanks in advance.

#2 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,916 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:10 PM

Just buy the one that matches your gauge ...

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:33 PM

The change in the senders coincided with the change in Thermostats from 820 to 880. This is to keep the Gauge on the N when the Thermostat is at running temp.

If you have the pocket in your head, you'd be best off to fit your original sender. The current ones I've found all make the Gauge read hotter than it really is.

#4 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for your replies. I am running a 82 degree thermostat. I read that it was not due to change in thermostat, as different countries used different thermostats, because of climates. The change was because of going from Mk2 to Mk3 and change of dash gauges, as the Mk3 did not use a voltage stabiliser I thought?

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,904 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:52 PM

as the Mk3 did not use a voltage stabiliser I thought?

The Voltage Stabaliser came in way earlier than that, on the MKI's around 63 if memory serves.

#6 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:55 PM

thats what I'm saying, mk1 and and mk2 had the voltage stabiliser, mk3 did not.

The Voltage Stabaliser came in way earlier than that, on the MKI's around 63 if memory serves.

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,904 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:32 PM

Err,,,, Ah,,,, they all had Stabalisers from 63 on, right up to the end in 2000.

#8 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:56 PM

ok thanks, Mini Spares website confused me, made it sound like only Mk1/2 had them. cheers.

Err,,,, Ah,,,, they all had Stabalisers from 63 on, right up to the end in 2000.

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 19 August 2018 - 09:28 PM

Hi All, 

I searched to try and find an answer and I can't, so apologies if this a dumb question.

Just got engine rebuilt it is a A+ in a MK1, using Mk1 loom (new when I rebuilt) and original ancillaries.

So the new engine came with a temp sender in the block, so went with that. however the reading kept being super low, like only a tiny bit past C and the engine seems super hot.

Anyway I earthed out the wire going to the sender and the gauge will go all the way to Hot.

So it must be the sender I presume?  Annoyingly the sender in my old engine is not near me at the moment, so my question is, could the engine builders fitted a later sender, could that be given a false low reading?

Thanks in advance.

no water temp sender in the block. are you actually measuring the water temp?

and all Minis have a voltage stabiliser and the water and fuel get about 10 Volts IIRC.

#10 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 09:32 PM

The previous engine and set up measured it, the only difference is the sender.

well the wires are plugged in correctly, I see no reason why I am not measuring water temp? how do I know if I am measuring the water temp?

Hi All, 

Thanks in advance.

and all Minis have a voltage stabiliser and the water and fuel get about 10 Volts IIRC.

Edited by beardylondon, 19 August 2018 - 09:32 PM.

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 19 August 2018 - 10:49 PM

well the wires are plugged in correctly, I see no reason why I am not measuring water temp? how do I know if I am measuring the water temp?

Hi All, 

Thanks in advance.

so what have you pluged it into you say BLOCK there is no water temp sensor in the BLOCK it is in the HEAD unless it is one of the injection cars.

by saying BLOCK you have raised the question as to is it wired up to the correct sensor if you have fitted a sensor to the HEAD then at least it is in the right place. and then there comes the question what gauge set up have you got?  you say MK1 and the pages give the years each was used. so if you have bought the correct one have you checked the delivered voltage so as to check the voltage stabiliser is working. then you can get an IR temp reader and see what the actual temp is and compare.

#12 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 10:57 PM

I meant Head, not block. The temperature sensor/sender is in the head, in the only location it can go.

Re: so if you have bought the correct one have you checked the delivered voltage so as to check the voltage stabiliser is working

I have not bought a sensor/sender, it came with the new engine, hence my original question, how can I tell which one I have?

No I haven't checked anything, not sure how to do this?

Hi All, 

Thanks in advance.

so what have you pluged it into you say BLOCK there is no water temp sensor in the BLOCK it is in the HEAD unless it is one of the injection cars.

by saying BLOCK you have raised the question as to is it wired up to the correct sensor if you have fitted a sensor to the HEAD then at least it is in the right place. and then there comes the question what gauge set up have you got?  you say MK1 and the pages give the years each was used. so if you have bought the correct one have you checked the delivered voltage so as to check the voltage stabiliser is working. then you can get an IR temp reader and see what the actual temp is and compare.

#13 merther

merther

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 09:06 AM

Pretty sure there are numbers on the sender that can tell you what type you have

#14 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:25 AM

Just found this online:

GTR102 - Green Insert. Used up until 09/64 when the voltage stabilisers were introduced. Smiths marked TT-3800/00A, Intermotor 5270

GTR104 - Red Insert. Used from 09/64 until 1969 with voltage stabiliser. Smiths marked TT-3802/00, Intermotor 5271

GTR101 - Black Insert. Used from 1969 until 1994 with voltage stabiliser. Smiths marked TT-3803/00A

Minispares confused me as they have GTR104 as black, not red!

#15 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 04:45 PM

So I fitted the GTR104 and the gauge now shoots up to H within driving 1 mile, and its not hot outside at the moment, I'm stumped.

Total opposite of what the GTR101 did, just sat at cold all day long.

its a recon engine, new 4 core rad, new water pump etc, just bizarre. Thermostat is working, as tried it in hot water and used digital thermometer to see if it opens at 82 degrees, which it does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users