32 replies to this topic

#16 paul50

paul50

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 06:43 PM

Adjust the gauge. Little hole in the back.

#17 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:08 PM

So it is definitely over heating, gauge still going nuts and had a hand held digital thermometer on the top of the head it, got up to 108C. My friend who is an AA patrolman said touch the bottom of the rad, as it was cold, meaning he thinks there must a blockage somewhere.

#18 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,933 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:14 PM

So I fitted the GTR104 and the gauge now shoots up to H within driving 1 mile, and its not hot outside at the moment, I'm stumped.

The current ones I've found all make the Gauge read hotter than it really is.

#19 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 09:38 AM

So the guys who built the engine said take the thermostat out and see what happens, and it runs at normal temp. So not sure what to do now, I guess just run it around like that for a while?

I was reading on another thread about drilling holes in the thermostat, would that help?

#20 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 21 August 2018 - 09:54 AM

So the guys who built the engine said take the thermostat out and see what happens, and it runs at normal temp. So not sure what to do now, I guess just run it around like that for a while?

I was reading on another thread about drilling holes in the thermostat, would that help?

removing the thermostat does nothing to the ability to cool the engine all it does it make the engine take longer to get up to temp.

there is no need to add any hole to the thermostat there should be one small one with a wiggly thing in it to aid air bleeding of the system.

again check the actual temp.

but you say the guy who built the engine. so is this a new build? or weeks,months,years old?

the ability of a cooling system is down to how much liquid you have. the ability of that liquid to transfer heat from the engine to the rad and finally the cooling capacity of the rad. make something worse and you will have issues removing a thermostat changes nothing.

#21 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:17 AM

thanks nick.

the engine is new, was recon'd block and head I had, only done 100 miles, put in 3 weeks ago.  the thinking behind removing the thermostat was to check if there was a blockage, as I was having issues of the temp gauge shooting straight up to hot within 1 mile of driving.

removing the thermostat does nothing to the ability to cool the engine all it does it make the engine take longer to get up to temp.

there is no need to add any hole to the thermostat there should be one small one with a wiggly thing in it to aid air bleeding of the system.

again check the actual temp.

but you say the guy who built the engine. so is this a new build? or weeks,months,years old?

the ability of a cooling system is down to how much liquid you have. the ability of that liquid to transfer heat from the engine to the rad and finally the cooling capacity of the rad. make something worse and you will have issues removing a thermostat changes nothing.

#22 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:32 PM

Well I took the water pump off this morning, looks fine, which is no surprise as its brand new. still stumped!

#23 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:40 PM

as the Mk3 did not use a voltage stabiliser I thought?

The Voltage Stabaliser came in way earlier than that, on the MKI's around 63 if memory serves.

1964 I believe.

#24 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:48 PM

The Voltage Stabaliser came in way earlier than that, on the MKI's around 63 if memory serves.

1964 I believe.

here is a fix for the newer voltage regulators.

http://www.theminifo...tor/?hl=voltage

#25 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:39 PM

1964 I believe.

I did this fix but the voltage reg chip is very scarce now since Malins have closed.

#26 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,933 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:50 PM

1964 I believe.

I did this fix but the voltage reg chip is very scarce now since Malins have closed.

Try RS

https://uk.rs-online...62854/?sra=pmpn

#27 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:32 PM

Well I decided to put a blanking sleeve in today and use an accurate digital thermometer and the car only gets to 80-85c when standing still, but the Mk1 gauge, using the red sender unit for 64 to 69 cars, shows it still at Hot.  I don't think any of those fixes apply to Mk1, so I am going to try and adjust the gauge, as per one of the earlier replies.

#28 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: FDMC

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:06 AM

I had all sorts of cooling problems with mine.. First thing to do is bin the electrical gauge and put a proper mechanical one in, then at least you can see what's going on

#29 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:01 AM

Well I decided to put a blanking sleeve in today and use an accurate digital thermometer and the car only gets to 80-85c when standing still, but the Mk1 gauge, using the red sender unit for 64 to 69 cars, shows it still at Hot.  I don't think any of those fixes apply to Mk1, so I am going to try and adjust the gauge, as per one of the earlier replies.

should be just the same with a suitable thermostat.

#30 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:03 AM

thanks, can you suggest a good one?

I had all sorts of cooling problems with mine.. First thing to do is bin the electrical gauge and put a proper mechanical one in, then at least you can see what's going on

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users