3 replies to this topic

#1 One step at a time

One step at a time

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:47 PM

Hi does anyone have and suggestions on how the alignment on flip up front hinges fit.
I’m trying to fit a pair of hinges of the Audi boot, but for the life on me they don’t line up.
The distance from lowered to raised increases at the top but decreases in the middle to bottom.
As you can see in the pic I’m in the middle of trying to sort it by placing the sheet steel between them. However as the arms are raised it bends whilst the top of the arms increase in distance.

Attached Files

Edited by One step at a time, 19 August 2018 - 07:51 PM.

#2 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:33 PM

sounds like the front of the hinges are on a narrower track to the rear  - not familiar with audi boot hinges, but they look they're an articulated type where the rear rotates forward as it opens

if you haven't already, measure distances between the key mount and articulation points when it's closed and again when it's open. this may help to identify which bit's are moving out of line, and how to correct it

hth

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:56 PM

I assume they are compound hinges. Identify the point that's most hinge like - most likely the pivot on the part the boot/bonnet attaches. Now plot its path as the hinge goes from the closed to open position - you could actually draw it on a piece of card Then consider how points on your flip front will move - that's a combination of rotating around the pivot as well as following the same path you plotted for the pivot.

I'll guess the Audi boot had less of it behind and below the pivots than you flip front so you'll probably need the hinges  lower and further towards the bulkhead if it's catching.

#4 wassupcrew

wassupcrew

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:13 PM

you have to space the front of the hinges out from the inner wings as they arent parallel. Measure across the car between the back of the hinges and the between the front of the hinges, subtract from each other and then divide by 2. this will give you the spacer you need each side.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users