#61 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 24 September 2018 - 12:25 AM

It's best to have it at TDC #1 so the "C" shaped washer doesn't drop out and jam things up.

sorry total crap. yes strong words but that is what it is. you are presuming that the C washer was fitted as per the factory spec and then you are suggesting that the user should take a 50/50 chance of possibly having some serious issues removing the flywheel.

have a read of any manual. Haynes or Rover and the all say have the slot horizontal as then there is ZERO chance of the C washer falling.

the only manuals that say put the engine to TDC are the very first ones where everything is expected to be factory.

as here

Attached File  minimk1clutch.JPG   36.41K   1 downloads

and here is a selection from later Haynes and rover manuals.

Attached File  haynes blue clutch.JPG   78.36K   0 downloads

Attached File  59-69 haynes clutch.JPG   51.1K   0 downloads

Attached File  mini 92-92 clutch.JPG   58.42K   0 downloads

Attached File  mpi clutch.JPG   29.08K   0 downloads

Attached File  rover 76-89 clutch.JPG   47.81K   0 downloads

sorry but this is one thing that really really gets on my.......

Edited by nicklouse, 24 September 2018 - 12:26 AM.

#62 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 24 September 2018 - 05:05 PM

Well, as I've been doing these since they first hit the roads, I guess I learned it the "old" way....which was to put the timing marks at TDC...you're saying that you could put the flywheel on 180* out and the washer could fall out? I thought the flywheel only went on one way? Or is it that the later cars don't have the timing marks anymore? I can see having it sideways would work too.....thanks for the info. Never too old to learn.

One thing is certain, don't try to pull the flywheel without setting it in the right orientation, whichever method you chose.

#63 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:43 PM

What Nick is driving at is that someone could’ve previously put the C washer in from the other side of the slot, so when the engine is at TDC it could drop rather than being on top of the crank.
Turning the engine 90 degrees either side of TDC (slot horizontal) means the C washer is effectively sideways so it doesn’t matter whether it’s been refitted correctly, it can’t fall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users