#1 Saven_Fye

Saven_Fye

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 08:33 AM

Hello everyone.

Well this will be my first time posting in the Forum. :)

I’m seriously considering doing a Yamaha R1 kit for my 1986 mini, ive had a look at the kits available and I’m really not sure which kit to choose!! I must admit I’m not the most clued up on a lot of thing but I’ll try anything and do my best lol.

What are the pros and cons between the two?

What I like about the pro-motive kit is that it looks like it uses the mini subframe in the kit, but you pay extra for the limited slip diff.

And what I’m don’t like about the Lynx kit is that it looks like motor sits in a bit of tubing lol but the lsd is included..

Any help and advice will be much appreciated!! Thank you

#2 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 12:08 PM

Between the two conversions, the Lynx kit uses the subframe in a slightly modified form and could be used to return the car to almost standard, the Pro Motive subframe is more heavily modified. I wouldn't be concerned that the subframe is modified as you can buy a replacement subframe for peanuts I like the tube frame cradle on the lynx kit as it is rubber mounted to reduce noise/vibration further If possible I would try and get a ride in both versions, I know that will be difficult but all up they are expensive conversions David

Edited by R1mini, 27 August 2018 - 12:13 PM.

#3 ojannen

ojannen

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 03:15 PM

Promotive kit has a longer chain which increases chain life, a real reverse gear, and the subframe includes most of the strengthening things you should do to your subframe if you are adding power.  The big downside is that the reverse box comes with straight cut gears and the whine is pretty loud.  The LSD is an expensive option instead of being included in the price.

The Lynx kit has an included LSD and a better ECU solution than promotive.  The downsides are the starter based reverse (this may have changed since I last checked), a short chain, and required parts being options such as the gear shift.

I sent emails to both companies when I was looking and Promotive was the only one to return them.

#4 Trickytriv1

Trickytriv1

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:34 PM

Just finishing my pro motive build and I have to say they have been excellent to deal with can’t fault them in anyway. Have always been there to answer any queries I had and the kit is excellent too

#5 Trickytriv1

Trickytriv1

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 02:44 PM

I have just finished building my promotive mini and can say that Darren and Phil are probably the best people I have ever dealt with quite shocked too as the car is quicker than I thought it would be proper smiles.

#6 nzeder

nzeder

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 03:55 AM

I too am a new member/poster

I was at the same decision point as you. I prefer the lynxae due to the standard subframe (allowing you to go back to A Series without having a second subframe if required), R1 engine is mounted in the same direction as in the bike frame, and comes with an LSD. I had no issues getting email replies from the guys a LynxAE.

I will be starting a thread on my R1 conversion once my kit arrives - but it is not LynxAE or a Promotive - if I was purchasing new (my kit I have been lucky enough to secure secondhand but basically new as it was not used much....I will let you all know what that is when I start my thread) I would be getting the LynxAE.

Email them at [email protected]

Richard was good to deal with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users