Photo

Supercharged Classic . Hot Spot Once Turned Off ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ABZSupercooper

ABZSupercooper

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 07:23 AM

Hi , My Vmax Scart supercharged classic 1275 has an issue where although the oil temp and engine temp gauges show normal when running , on turning the engine off I get intermittent bubbling in the expansion tank after 20 seconds or so, The car has a high flow front mounted radiator, any ideas as to how I can stop this , Or is it not an issue !

#2 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 04:44 PM

I've heard some Turbo'd cars need running on tickover for a while after use to allow heat to dissipate from the oil - not sure if S/c's have the same issue?

#3 Readers14

Readers14

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 11:41 AM

I've heard some Turbo'd cars need running on tickover for a while after use to allow heat to dissipate from the oil - not sure if S/c's have the same issue?

This is to allow oil to circulate around the turbocharger, as a sudden loss of oil whilst still hot would knacker the internals.

#4 Readers14

Readers14

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 11:43 AM

Hi , My Vmax Scart supercharged classic 1275 has an issue where although the oil temp and engine temp gauges show normal when running , on turning the engine off I get intermittent bubbling in the expansion tank after 20 seconds or so, The car has a high flow front mounted radiator, any ideas as to how I can stop this , Or is it not an issue !

Possibly air in the system. It may need bleeding to release the air.

#5 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 12:11 PM

Hi,

Test or replace the rad cap would be my first move ...

Cheers  :proud:

#6 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 03 September 2018 - 04:32 PM

How high is your expansion tank. If its higher than the rad then I would think the water is contracting and going back to the water system when cooling. Bubbles might be just air going back to the tank. Saying that, wouldn't have thought the air should be circulating in the first place. Is the expansion tank a custom set up?

#7 ABZSupercooper

ABZSupercooper

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 09:24 PM

The expansion tank is custom , I think also the front radiator ,have bled the system by running up to temp with the cap off until bubbling stopped, will give it a run in the next few days and see if issue has stopped , thanks for info

#8 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:10 AM

As it's a custom set up, where does the tank connect to the water system? May be something like if the connection is near the pump and on the wrong side, it might be drawing the air in from the tank. Fyi - if it is actually an expansion tank it should only be half full when cold

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users