Photo
- - - - -

Mini Jerks Forward And Hard Stops When Gas Is Applied Or Removed And Bogging At The Start Of A Gear

engine

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Vendeta44

Vendeta44

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:27 PM

So I'm getting close to the point of actually being able to drive my mini but I'm having a weird issue that was apparent before and now after the carb rebuild and stage 1 kit. 

In first and second (also 3rd but to a much lesser degree) if I give a c-hair worth of accelerator the car jerks forward rather violently, not like normal manual things I mean violently enough your head wants to bobble like a hula girl. Same happens if at a slow speed I let go of the accelerator it instantly feels like I hit a wall. This is after the car has had time to warm up properly i should probably add.

Also after the stage kit I noticed it was bogging out a bit on startup if I applied to much accelerator, pulling the choke cable about 1/8th seemed to have stopped that. But now it accelerates nicely in neutral and when I pop it into gear I get a bit of power and then its like the clutch slips or something because it loses all its momentum and even full accelerator it just putts slowly for about 5 seconds then suddenly catches and I have power again. Does this right up the gear range 1-4.

also it might be worth adding, anyone know if the gaz adjustable shocks need time to break in or something? I've got them 3 ticks for the softest setting and its like I have no shocks at all and super rough. When I put them in it also seemed like they were not returning properly, but all 4 did the same thing.

#2 matt615

matt615

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:20 AM

Sounds like the fuelling has been messed up by the stage 1 kit. Did the stage 1 kit come with a new needle?

It probably needs a good tune up on a rolling road.

#3 Vendeta44

Vendeta44

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:28 AM

Sounds like the fuelling has been messed up by the stage 1 kit. Did the stage 1 kit come with a new needle?

It probably needs a good tune up on a rolling road.

Yeah came with a new needle that i installed. I'll poke around for more information on hs4 tuning and give it a shot.

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 12 September 2018 - 10:04 AM

Drain the fuel tank and fill with fresh super unleaded. Had this with a friend's auto who used a motorway services for fuel.

Dip a finger in the drained fuel and taste it, does it sting your tongue?

If not the fuel is off, you can use it when going on a run, just make sure you put one gallon drained fuel and the rest fresh super unleaded

Edited by cal844, 12 September 2018 - 10:04 AM.

#5 Vendeta44

Vendeta44

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:31 PM

Drain the fuel tank and fill with fresh super unleaded. Had this with a friend's auto who used a motorway services for fuel.

Dip a finger in the drained fuel and taste it, does it sting your tongue?

If not the fuel is off, you can use it when going on a run, just make sure you put one gallon drained fuel and the rest fresh super unleaded

I was concerned the fuel was off when I got it as it had been sitting for 2 years. But it seemed to run fine on it before the stage kit was installed well at least it wasn't bogging, it still did the jerking. I had about half a tank that I topped up with premium unleaded and a dash of lead substitute.

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 06:34 PM

Check the fuel, supermarket fuels are only useable for 30 days then they go off.

#7 Vendeta44

Vendeta44

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:51 PM

So bit of an update. I pulled the plug and it was apparent it was running really rich. I twiddled the carb a bit and eventually settled on a reasonable mixture that has helped tremendously. Much smoother acceleration but it does still like to bog a bit if I jam the accelerator down from a stop, if I ease into it not a problem though. Next up is draining the tank once I can find somewhere to store the old fuel and head to town to get some new premium fuel only fuel station within a 20km radius only sells regular :(.

Edited by Vendeta44, 12 September 2018 - 07:52 PM.

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:30 PM

So bit of an update. I pulled the plug and it was apparent it was running really rich. I twiddled the carb a bit and eventually settled on a reasonable mixture that has helped tremendously. Much smoother acceleration but it does still like to bog a bit if I jam the accelerator down from a stop, if I ease into it not a problem though. Next up is draining the tank once I can find somewhere to store the old fuel and head to town to get some new premium fuel only fuel station within a 20km radius only sells regular :(.

Have you tried a coil? Is the dashpot topped up with oil?

Before you drain the fuel, siphon some out, all you want is a dampness on your finger... Stick said dampness on your tongue(it won't taste good so have some water or milk to flush your mouth) does the fuel sting your tongue? If not you'll have a trek for premium fuel, if it does sting then the fuel is good.

#9 Vendeta44

Vendeta44

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:05 PM

Before you drain the fuel, siphon some out, all you want is a dampness on your finger... Stick said dampness on your tongue(it won't taste good so have some water or milk to flush your mouth) does the fuel sting your tongue? If not you'll have a trek for premium fuel, if it does sting then the fuel is good.

Have not tried a coil. Dashpot is topped off with proper damper oil as well.

Siphoned out a bit of fuel, not sure I've ever tasted gas before but it didn't sting my tongue so I'll have to go fetch some new fuel and see if that does the trick.

#10 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:52 PM

Have not tried a coil. Dashpot is topped off with proper damper oil as well.

Siphoned out a bit of fuel, not sure I've ever tasted gas before but it didn't sting my tongue so I'll have to go fetch some new fuel and see if that does the trick.

What to do is repeat the taste test at the gas pump, you'll know straight away if it's any use.

Try better gas then also try a slightly thicker oil in the dashpot. I think that will make a good initial result.

I use 20w50 engine oil on our minis, they run slightly rich but run perfect and never miss a beat.

Two use HS4 carbs(all have stage one kits, the standard 998 has an AAU needle, I have a standard late carb 1275 which has an AEM (needs leaned off even more as plugs are still dark)

My other mini has a 1275 with a ported and polished head and HIF 38 carb, stage one kit with a big bore centre exit exhaust which has an ABB needle fitted.

All return good gas mileage and will do any distance we need to without issue as they all have 65D electronic ignition from the late carb cars.

So, try fresh fuel, if it's better, try a thicker oil in the dashpot on the carb. If it's still not right I'd say to try a new (or known working) coil

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users