33 replies to this topic

#1 Paulocs75

Paulocs75

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 08:57 PM

Apart from rust what issues should I expect while using my mini as a daily driver through out winter ?

#2 bae1994

bae1994

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:51 AM

I found the worst thing was misting up and the blowers aren't really up to much so I kept a cloth in mine to keep the screen clear ( wipe the whole screen not just a window though xD)

That and cold fingers untill the engine gets to temp, so I got some gloves with grip on them.

Also make sure you have a shield over your dizzy and keep a can of wd40 in the boot

I drive mine all year and it's a blast but Does take a fair bit of upkeep.

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:46 PM

Keep a cloth for the inside of the windows

Fit a 65D electronic distributor and also keep decent tyres all round

#4 Paulocs75

Paulocs75

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:57 PM

It’s got a dizzy shield and electric ignition and Yokohamas all round but what do u use the wd40 for ?

#5 bae1994

bae1994

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:42 PM

Incase water gets in the dizzy or light connectors the wd40 is water displacement 40, so can help with damp.

#6 Paulocs75

Paulocs75

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:24 AM

Ok cheers

#7 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:17 AM

Hi,

Check your dizzy cap, rotor and leads now to make sure they're ok.

Check for black lines and corrosion inside the cap.

Mist some water with a spray bottle over the leads in the dark then start the engine.

If you see sparks flying you need new leads.

Cheers  :proud:

#8 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:47 AM

www.theaa.co.uk
www.rac.co.uk

Make sure you get cover that takes you to your destination, that way if it’s freezing cold and won’t start you and your mini get chauffeur driven to work in a nice warm van, saves petrol and frost bite!

#9 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 14 September 2018 - 11:39 AM

www.theaa.co.uk
www.rac.co.uk

Make sure you get cover that takes you to your destination, that way if it’s freezing cold and won’t start you and your mini get chauffeur driven to work in a nice warm van, saves petrol and frost bite!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: .

#10 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 12:43 PM

I'm going to ask the unpopular question but....why?

Why daily a classic? All of the problems above should be enough to suggest that it's not the best idea. It's not that it can't be done (they were 'modern' once) but it's 2018, you can buy a modern car for the same price or less that will be more comfortable and less hassle. So why do it?

Buy the classic, drive it for fun; buy a modern to do the daily running around.

More over, if someone smashes into your cheap modern you won't have to care, just junk it and get another. I assume you'll have slightly more emotional attachment to a classic and that's bad for a car you'll use every day.

#11 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:25 PM

I'm going to ask the unpopular question but....why?

Why daily a classic? All of the problems above should be enough to suggest that it's not the best idea. It's not that it can't be done (they were 'modern' once) but it's 2018, you can buy a modern car for the same price or less that will be more comfortable and less hassle. So why do it?

Buy the classic, drive it for fun; buy a modern to do the daily running around.

More over, if someone smashes into your cheap modern you won't have to care, just junk it and get another. I assume you'll have slightly more emotional attachment to a classic and that's bad for a car you'll use every day.

Why daily a classic: Because its fun. Why limit my fun to weekends and sunny days only. The problems are only part of the enjoyment of learning something and experiencing it the way it is. For example, moy boss knows I drive one, and Ive told him before that there might be days that I come late, and if he sees me with oily hands he should know why. 
aaaaaand minis are cheap to swap when something goes wrong... 

I dont see the point in having 2 cars when a single car already sits around for 23 hrs a day...

#12 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:43 PM

In all seriousness I think as long as you keep a couple of spare bits in the boot you should be fine, like you say people used these cars through the 60s70s80s and seemed to cope.

Check the oil and coolant more frequently than you would a modern car, pour waxoyl or something underneath. Minispares do some plastic wheel arch liners which might be a good investment for a daily to stop build ups of muck and salt.

Maybe some of them silicone dehumidifier things will help with the misty screen on cold days

Apart from that just allow yourself extra time in the morning.. can of easy start, can of de icer...

A sump guard in case you have any icey slips into a curb??

My 70 year old dad who was a mechanic since the age of 15 always says that I and other classic car owners are ‘too precious’ with our cars and that a mini is a ride on lawn mower with a roof....

#13 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:32 PM

Why daily a classic: Because its fun.

I envy your fun commute. Despite being out in the sticks mines still spent sat in traffic.

It's not just classics, I posted similar in another thread on here about 'fun' daily drives. If your daily driving is fun (i.e you get to head off down some good roads without much traffic) then I can see why you'd want to be in a car that maximizes the experience.

My experience of daily driving is very different. I need to get where I'm going on time and in good shape, I want to be warm in winter and cool in summer, I want to be able to do 3-4hrs without feeling like I've run a marathon, I don't want to feel every pot-hole and rough surface, and I want to be able to listen to some music without being blasted by road noise.

In short I want all the improvements that have been made in motoring over the last 30 years while I'm driving because I need to.

When I drive because I want to - that's different. I have a Mini, a couple of motorbikes and a Landrover (not all are actually driveable, but that's a different story). When I drive those it's because I want to enjoy what I'm doing. I don't care if I turn up late or don't get there at all, I don't care if I turn up a bit oily, I just want to enjoy the experience.

I tried combining the two worlds for years and years, and all it ever got me was stress, expense and disenchantment with vehicles I loved. So now I don't bother and I try and put the same point across in these kinds of threads as it's easy to get wrapped up in the fever of group think.

My 70 year old dad who was a mechanic since the age of 15 always says that I and other classic car owners are ‘too precious’ with our cars and that a mini is a ride on lawn mower with a roof....

Which can now be worth some serious money, even in poor condition. When he was working on them I assume he could still pick them up for, almost literally, pennies? It's not bad advice as they are very basic cars but times have changed and attitudes do too.

Edited by Icey, 14 September 2018 - 02:43 PM.

#14 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:05 PM

The idea of using an old classic car as everyday transport is attractive at first glance. It is when the practicalities kick in and the financial implications are realised that it pales a bit.

I used a Mini as my only everyday car from 1963 until 1966; first an 850 then, from mid-1964 a 998 Cooper. But even then I got a bi tired of the constant 'fettling' to keep them going reliably for the 30,000 miles per annum I did back then. In 1966 I decided I needed something bigger, more comfortable and more reliable, so I bought a new Cortina GT.

If there is a determination to use a classic as an everyday car, personally it would not be a Mini I would choose. I think a Rover P6, a Triumph 2000, or an MGB-GT would prove much better in the long run. Those cars are still affordable and can be very reliable compared to a classic Mini.

The old, slow and small classic Mini is great fun for short journeys on twisty roads away from modern traffic, but for me for everyday; not b****y likely.

#15 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:21 PM

I think it depends how many miles you do on your daily drive and what type of roads, If the Mini is properly maintained and prepared for winter driving as many of the posts have already highlighted then use it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users