33 replies to this topic

#31 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:56 AM

Being in deep Cornwall next to the sea I can confirm that unless you have a climate controlled garage your pride and joy will rot just as quick as using it every day which is why my daily has been in constant use for 14 years with no ill effects.

Average speed around here is 30 mph or zero in the summer holidays hence the motorcycle so its ideal.

I`ll probably take it to Castle Combe in a couple of weeks which is a 428 mile round trip in a day with no radio ( wouldn`t hear it anyway ) and drum brakes so I might be singing a different tune but it is an adventure or do I mean an endurance event  :lol:

I have to disagree about the rusting in garages, I restored a 1962 AH Sprite in 2001, since then it has lived in the same garage for the last 17 years.  

I stopped using it in 2013 and it just sat there, earlier this year I dragged it out and recommissioned it for the 60 anniversary event at Wroxall Abbey there wasn't any rust on it anywhere.

I'm in the midlands so no salt laden sea air.  The problem is if you already have rust then it might keep going but if the car isn't rusty to start with a dry garage shouldn't cause any problems.

#32 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 06:02 AM

Im firmly in the "not every day" camp.

I like many others did run Minis as my only car but when they were still current "new" or modern second hand cars. Parts available everywhere wasnt a problem,

But even then it was regular maintenance, weekends with the bonnet up or wheels off fixing or replacing something. I didnt mind, quite enjoyed it actually and still do but when I want to, not because I have to, to get it running for next days commute.

The appeal to me now of classic cars is pleasurable motoring for leisure purposes. For everything else I have a modern diesel 4x4, and because its a Landrover, I love it too, just for different reasons.

I'm with you on this, restoring old cars is fun because you can do it when you want to.  I remember once having to hacksaw a thermostat housing off in the winter outside under a lead light as it had snowed and the car was freezing using it to work.  Not so much fun when you have to do it to get to work the next day.

#33 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:28 AM

I would no more think of using a Mini as a daily driver now than I would have thought of using a 1920's car as a daily driver when I bought my first Minis in the 1960's. I do remember a guy who had a 1930 Austin 7 which he used for coming to work in 1966, but it was not ideal really. When I was at school our headmaster had an Austin Ruby which was then about 25 years old and it rarely got cleaned. It was nicknamed 'Dirty Gerty' and scrawled in the dirt one day was 'Dirty Gerty for the Monte Carlo Rally'. He got a bit (more) grumpy about that.

For most of us classic cars in general are just a bit of fun.

#34 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:35 AM

Being in deep Cornwall next to the sea I can confirm that unless you have a climate controlled garage your pride and joy will rot just as quick as using it every day which is why my daily has been in constant use for 14 years with no ill effects.

Average speed around here is 30 mph or zero in the summer holidays hence the motorcycle so its ideal.

I`ll probably take it to Castle Combe in a couple of weeks which is a 428 mile round trip in a day with no radio ( wouldn`t hear it anyway ) and drum brakes so I might be singing a different tune but it is an adventure or do I mean an endurance event  :lol:

I have to disagree about the rusting in garages, I restored a 1962 AH Sprite in 2001, since then it has lived in the same garage for the last 17 years.  

I stopped using it in 2013 and it just sat there, earlier this year I dragged it out and recommissioned it for the 60 anniversary event at Wroxall Abbey there wasn't any rust on it anywhere.

I'm in the midlands so no salt laden sea air.  The problem is if you already have rust then it might keep going but if the car isn't rusty to start with a dry garage shouldn't cause any problems.

Hi,

Being near the sea does make a huge difference.

My friend parked his brand new cooper S in his garage over winter and the pads were welded to the discs come spring.

New Pagid discs and pads from EBC as bmw refused it under warranty.

Cheers  :proud:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users