cp2708

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:43 AM

Hi All,

I wonder if anybody can throw some light on a problem I've got. A while back I was looking near the wiper motor and made the mistake of disturbing the plug/park switch. The park stopped working. 

I bought a new park switch from WP via ebay, still no park, the cable looked a bit ropey, so soldered a new plug on, still no park. There is a good ignition 12V getting to the switch. I assumed it was a faulty replacement switch, so while up at mum's I got a replacement Lucas branded one from Huddersfield Spares Counter (who pulled my pants down). I fitted this and now the Wipers do stop briefly at the correct position, but overshoots and then start again, as if the plunger thing on the switch isn't quite long enough, or the cam on the back of the wiper motor is too far away from the park switch. The park switch is fitted snugly in the wiper motor housing too.

I'm assuming the electrical side of it must be right due to the brief stopping. is there any way of adjusting the position of the gear wheel or tightening the whole mechanism up so it doesn't overshoot, or have I just bought 2 duff switches?

I can't see anything in the Haynes about adjusting the position of the gearwheel to bring it closer to the switch, 

Finally, the MOT is in 10 days, if I put the old park switch back on (when they don't self park), will it pass the MOT?

I'd buy a new motor but then you've got to mess around changing the gear as well, which going by the picture on Minispares doesn't have the cam thing fitted unless I just can't tell from the picture.

Cheers,

Chris.

#2 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Local Club: Bognor Regis Motor Club

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:20 AM

My wipers haven't self parked since the day I brought it 18 years ago! Mot has never been a problem.

#3 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:45 AM

Bought. Sorry, pet hate.

Remove the motor and strip it down. It's a really basic design and you can see for yourself whether the cam is hitting the switch.

#4 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:06 PM

You won't have trouble at the MOT if they still don't park.  As long as you can turn them on and off and they wipe the screen properly they'll be alright.

#5 cp2708

cp2708

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:42 PM

Ok, thanks for the tips!

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:29 AM

When it operates the park switch breaks the supply and also earths the side going to the motor so both sides of the windings are at earth potential and it stops dead. If it runs on enough to close the park switch again it could well be because it isn't earthing.

#7 cp2708

cp2708

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:10 PM

When it operates the park switch breaks the supply and also earths the side going to the motor so both sides of the windings are at earth potential and it stops dead. If it runs on enough to close the park switch again it could well be because it isn't earthing.

Thanks, I'll check this out!

#8 cp2708

cp2708

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:11 PM

Had a play today and fitted the first replacement park switch that I bought from WP and everything works fine now!?! Result!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users