11 replies to this topic

#1 ClassicAsh

ClassicAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:33 PM

The title says it all, well it what my wife said! it all started with a mate saying his mate has am mgtf with a blown head gasket, yeah I know the reputation but for £150. only 60k miles and full history I had to have it, fast forward and yep, head off, gasket is not looking to bad but the wrong type in my opinion. and low and behold the liners are moving, it looks like someone else has skimmed the head, fitted new gasket but not checked the liners or they have moved the crank when the shouldn't. so its full in for a lick of a skim off the head and pressure test etc. remove the liners and reseal the base and new correct gasket, new bolts. cam belt blah blah blah. its a pain but why do I like messing with old cars so much. looks like I will be the weekend in the garage. wooo hoooo. don't tell the missus I said that.

#2 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:15 PM

Good luck. I've done a few 'K' head gaskets and always think cleaning out all the chocolate milkshake is the hardest part of the job...
A great engine, for sure, but that block rigidity problem is a major failing imo.

#3 ClassicAsh

ClassicAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:01 PM

well bit of an update, what a pig of a job that was. mid mounted engines are a nightmare to work on, anyway, after re sealing the liners, skimming the head, fitting correct gasket, new cam belt, new water pump, new drive belt new tensioners, flushing the engine and rad and pipes, cleaning the expansion tank. filling with antifreeze and bleeding the system, full service, oil filter, sparks.... it started first time, drove 100 miles in the first day of it starting and what a cracking little car. purchase price £150.00 parts including head skim and refurb and all belts and service parts of around £400.00. so total cost of £550.00 I could not be happier, almost makes me smile as much as the mini and I guess its got the mini blood line in it somewhere. rover.. mg... mini... anyway I am happy.

#4 psmini

psmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:51 PM

Nice one!  I had one years ago, loads of fun.  I'm actually going to buy an F or a TF, get the head/cambelt done as a precaution and go on a bit of a road trip next summer.  The plan is to use the same amount as money as I would going on a 2 week break somewhere hot including buying the car and the trip.  Will be a 4th car but i'll keep it to use on nice days after the trip but if i decide to sell due to not using it much, the loss will be fairly small.

#5 ClassicAsh

ClassicAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:57 PM

Nice one!  I had one years ago, loads of fun.  I'm actually going to buy an F or a TF, get the head/cambelt done as a precaution and go on a bit of a road trip next summer.  The plan is to use the same amount as money as I would going on a 2 week break somewhere hot including buying the car and the trip.  Will be a 4th car but i'll keep it to use on nice days after the trip but if i decide to sell due to not using it much, the loss will be fairly small.

sounds like a good plan, I can see why the cost of a garage to do the work can be very expensive as its very time consuming, but the good thing about doing it yourself is you know its been done right, no matter how I try I struggle to trust garages (I know some are honest). So good luck with getting one.

#6 psmini

psmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 05:55 PM

sounds like a good plan, I can see why the cost of a garage to do the work can be very expensive as its very time consuming, but the good thing about doing it yourself is you know its been done right, no matter how I try I struggle to trust garages (I know some are honest). So good luck with getting one.

I wish I was mechanically minded enough to do it!  I see you're in Northants too, sure you don't want to do another one? (joke).

#7 ClassicAsh

ClassicAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:54 PM

Ha Ha yeah why not I must like pain lol... in truth I enjoyed most of it, apart from banging my fingers, getting my arm bruised...
I wish I was mechanically minded enough to do it!  I see you're in Northants too, sure you don't want to do another one? (joke).

#8 ClassicAsh

ClassicAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:55 PM

I think I typed that reply in the wrong box lol...

#9 psmini

psmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 09:40 AM

Haha I got the message though.  I'll drop it round as soon as Ive bought it :-)  Any pics of the MG?

#10 ClassicAsh

ClassicAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:35 PM

Yeah sure drop it over... ha ha. I struggle with tech as it is, I will be honest and say I have no idea how to upload pics on here, its a trophy blue 1.6 version. in good condition, 12 service stamps. a really nice looking car. you will only want it if you see pics !

#11 psmini

psmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:36 AM

Yeah sure drop it over... ha ha. I struggle with tech as it is, I will be honest and say I have no idea how to upload pics on here, its a trophy blue 1.6 version. in good condition, 12 service stamps. a really nice looking car. you will only want it if you see pics !

Haha fair enough, probably best you don't then :-)

#12 ClassicAsh

ClassicAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:47 AM

MGTF still going well, changed the oil and filter after doing 500 miles from the head and engine work. It is a fab little car. hmmm now do I keep it or sell it in the spring.. decisions decisions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users