1 reply to this topic

#1 ClassicAsh

ClassicAsh

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:33 PM

The title says it all, well it what my wife said! it all started with a mate saying his mate has am mgtf with a blown head gasket, yeah I know the reputation but for £150. only 60k miles and full history I had to have it, fast forward and yep, head off, gasket is not looking to bad but the wrong type in my opinion. and low and behold the liners are moving, it looks like someone else has skimmed the head, fitted new gasket but not checked the liners or they have moved the crank when the shouldn't. so its full in for a lick of a skim off the head and pressure test etc. remove the liners and reseal the base and new correct gasket, new bolts. cam belt blah blah blah. its a pain but why do I like messing with old cars so much. looks like I will be the weekend in the garage. wooo hoooo. don't tell the missus I said that.

#2 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 05:15 PM

Good luck. I've done a few 'K' head gaskets and always think cleaning out all the chocolate milkshake is the hardest part of the job...
A great engine, for sure, but that block rigidity problem is a major failing imo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares