Photo
- - - - -

Tie Rod Bolt Failure

Best Answer spraybeater , 15 September 2018 - 09:22 AM

Good idea to fit new one, including the proper bolt through the bottom suspension arm.

+ new nylocks! on both looks like thats been cross threaded and the threads stripped by some

ham-fisted moron.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:41 AM

Picture of car on recovery truck, this was the position of the rod post failure ,  

attachicon.gif IMG_3401.JPGattachicon.gif IMG_3401.JPG

I'd have tied that back in place with some "baler twine", and driven home.

#17 carbon

carbon

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:10 AM

Tonight I was driving along and on slowing down from c40mph heard a loud bang then the car veered to the side , pulled over and found my offside tie rod had come free with nut bush and washer gone! Thread stil dirty to the end so don’t think it backed off , simply seems to have failed catastrophicly! Has anyone seen this before, could have been nasty !

Good to hear you're OK, could have been much worse.

Can you please post close-up picture of the threaded front end of the nearside tie-rod, and also a similar picture of the offside tie-rod.

Struggling to understand how a nyloc nut would come undone.

#18 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:39 PM

Lots of confusion in this thread, excuse the pun.

The nut has come off that's all, either a non nylok nut was fitted or an incorrect one was fitted or reused to the point that the nylok wasn't locking anything.

#19 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,899 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:17 PM

Looking at your Photo, it's not the bolt that's broken or come out but the Nut at the front where the Caster Rod fastens in to the Subframe.

There should be some rubber bushes here, a 'captive' washer and a thick load bearing washer. The Nuts are normally a Nyloc and that's what the factory fitted, but personally, due to the very high loadings here(especially under brakes), I fit a 'normal' grade 8 Nut and a Lock Nut.

If yours has broken the end off the Caster Rod then usually that's from fitting Hard Rubber Bushes on both sides or in same cases, from Poly Bushes. Also, if it has broken it off, you'll need a new Caster Rod, it looks like yours are the (after market) adjustable types. I think you can only buy them as a pair and given what's happened here, I'd suggest replacing both as well as giving the whole front end a good looking over (or having it looked over by someone with long Mini experience).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users