#1 sc-em

sc-em

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 05:44 PM

Hi all.

I have recently bought a 1986 mini Mayfair with a 1275 in it. Now I have had a bright idea. My partner and I are getting married in 6 weeks and both our first cars were minis back in the 80's. The car has a good engine and subframes but standing for 3 years, albeit in a garage, has not helped the floors ( and a few other areas.) I started chipping off the sound deadening stuff. What a bugger. But the holes started expanding. As they do. So I ordered up some panels are I am now pondering how best to fit and weld. The panel actually stretched under the cross member but I would rather not touch this as it seems sound.

I have watched a few videos. Some show grinding out the spot welds and then refitting. I guess there will be an overlap whatever I do.

So the question is should I try and get it ready for my wedding i.e. MOT sound but not the finished job (take off road after) My mate who is an MOT tester came and advised on what was needed and the few holes were the main issues. I have already rebuilt the brakes and got the electrics working.

It is nice to be playing with minis again. :D Decisions. Decisions.

Attached Files

#2 Jgguinness

Jgguinness

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:16 PM

6 weeks isn't long till the wedding!!  If you are wanting to replace the floor can you not just patch it for the moment to make it solid and roadworthy again, then once the wedding etc is out of the way take it off the road and do the floor properly without the pressure of time?

#3 sc-em

sc-em

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:55 PM

God! Apologies for the dreadful topic title. Only just noticed.

I am just debating if it will  take any longer to cut out and weld or grind and patch.

#4 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 11:02 AM

Question is, does the outside of the car look good enough to be in your wedding photos...?

Have you considered hiring the Italian Job minis for the wedding?

#5 sc-em

sc-em

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 11:45 AM

Lol. It's the mini in the profile photo, so yes it would look okay as the paint job may be ropey but consistent enough to have in photos. It will be tartan red with a black roof when I have finished sometime in a year or two...….

#6 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:35 AM

Hi,

Get it trailered to the venue?

Cheers  :proud:

#7 sc-em

sc-em

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:04 AM

No there’s an idea. Lol

#8 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:24 AM

Hi,

If you only need to have it in the wedding pictures, clean and polish it and get it trailered there. Or an independent recovery company with a beaver tail truck?

Saves a load of work when you're short of time...

Cheers  :proud:

#9 sc-em

sc-em

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 11:48 AM

So I have now got all the sound deadening off the floors and was wondering about what to cut out. The new panel includes a bit of the inner sill. I am pondering cutting out most of the floor for the new panel and butt welding but do I also cut out the sill grind away the actual door sill..not very thick though) I would welcome any recommendations. I think the integrity should be okay as the sills seem ok.

Attached Files

#10 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 23 September 2018 - 12:22 PM

looking at that picture the inner sill and floor is toast. What panel have you got??? is it just the front quarter floor panel??

If it is then doing what you have said will be fine. My concern is looking at the picture is whats the rest of the inner sill like?? If its all like that then i would consider a complete inner sill replacement.

#11 sc-em

sc-em

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 05:42 PM

When I am back home i will post a couple of photos. Yes, as predicted the inner sill was patched over the top of already rust one. So now I have cut a big hole as a starting point for the floor pan, i am reluctant to cut the inner sill as well in case it affects the rigidity of the body. As the panel has an integral inner sill, I am tempted to cut this off and do the floor and then the inner sill after. 

#12 sc-em

sc-em

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:46 PM

Photos as suggested. Floor/sill and repair panel.

Attached Files

#13 sc-em

sc-em

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:04 PM

So what thoughts chaps? Do I cut off the inner sill and then add the whole new panel, or cut the sill section off the new panel  and then do the floor and then the sill after? I am reluctant to move forward without some more informed advice than I can offer myself.

#14 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:17 PM

So the car has oversills fitted judging by the pictures. So the next question is before you go any further are you going to take those bad boys off.

#15 sc-em

sc-em

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:44 PM

Yes at some point. If I can just get the car through an MOT in the short term, I will then take it off the road and strip properly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users