#1 hairyhammie

hairyhammie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:08 PM

Hi,

I’m looking for a valuation for my 1979 Mini Van (Hector) which I’ve owned since 2010. I bought it to drive around Europe during for a number of months, where I slept in the back as some sort of tiny campervan! After this and a subsequent shorter trip to Stockholm, I had realised that the bodywork was in need of some serious restoration. From what I thought was the need for just new sills…the standard Mini grot was found in many areas. Over the course of about 5 years I worked on and off stripping Hector down to just the chassis, mounting on a spit, bracing and then replacing most of the lower 100mm of panels.

This is not a full list, but the panels (mainly M Machine) replaced include:

· both full floor pans
· seat mounting box section
· heel board
· floor strengthening panels
· sills (the correct ones with vents this time!)
· rear subframe mounts
· lower sections of side panels
· sections of rear wheel arch
· front floor corner areas to arches
· sections of lower A-pillars
· doorsteps
· box areas behind heel board (with holes for waxoil added)
· underside and firewall of car epoxy coated, stone-chipped and painted
· stripped/cleaned/internally sealed and then painted fuel tank
· inline glass fuel filter added to replace original internal fuel tank item
· stripped and repainted rear subframe
· replaced rear suspension arm pivots
· subframe mounts
· engine mounts
· cleaned and painted engine
· new leads
· braided oil pressure hose to dial
· replaced oil pump and seal
· new clutch (correctly torqued flywheel)
· clutch release bearing
· removed incorrect chrome grille and fabricated removable steel grille
· all new brake hoses
· 7.5” discs and callipers
· temperature dial
· new battery
· battery cable
· Internal heater refurbished with new heater matrix

Engine is 1275 which was tuned on the rolling-road by Stuart at VMax Mini last year and told that it should have plenty of life left and oil pressure with new pump is instant and at the desired level

· new upgraded timing chain
· water pump
· new hoses
· plugs and leads
· recent oil change
· new starter solenoid
· LCB manifold and 3” stainless Playmini exhaust (sounds great, but too load for long journeys! Came with it, so not my choice)

Other info:

· 10” miniator wheels
· “camper” interior fitted in rear
o insulated sides/roof/floor which also deadens the noise…slightly! It’s still loud – it’s a van with a large exhaust!
· metro seats (a little tired but comfortable)
· Pageant blue
· Hi-Los included but not fitted

It’s by no means concourse condition and was never intended to be, so there is the odd scratch but nothing serious. The bonnet does have a small crease in it but wasn’t top priority when restoring.

I’d love to keep it and sort out all of the minor issues to make it perfect, but after moving I don’t have a proper garage in or the time to enjoy it. it’s been well kept since moving , in a temporary garage with a dehumidifier.

As I haven’t been using it, the MOT has not elapsed and therefore it’s SORN, but have no reason to think it would not pass straight away. Do you think it’s worth my while doing this, or would anyone serious not be too worried about that?

It’s an awesome vehicle and I’ve had some amazing times in it and will be sad to see it go.

Any advice on value would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie

Attached Files

#2 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:05 PM

definitely worth getting it MOT'd - it'll put plenty of prospective buyers off if they think they may need to trailer it away, and gives them an incentive to try and drive the price down

can't help you on value i'm afraid other than suggesting you look at what other people are asking for similar examples - the for sale section of the mini mags is a good place to start.

it might also be worth stripping out the trim from the load area to show it's not hiding anything nasty

best of luck; it's a nice solid looking commercial.  pretty sure someone will snap it up 

#3 hairyhammie

hairyhammie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 08:09 AM

Thanks KTS, I think you're right about the MOT, I'll get him booked in.

I'll take some pics beneath the carpet, don't remember any nasty areas, just small dents in the loadbed from a working life!

I've looked at other adverts, but they seem to vary from £20k for concourse (which this isnt), down to £4k for non-running rust heaps!

#4 matt615

matt615

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:11 PM

Only one year out from not needing an MOT at all.

#5 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 09:30 PM

Thanks KTS, I think you're right about the MOT, I'll get him booked in.

I'll take some pics beneath the carpet, don't remember any nasty areas, just small dents in the loadbed from a working life!

I've looked at other adverts, but they seem to vary from £20k for concourse (which this isnt), down to £4k for non-running rust heaps!

..split the difference then  :proud:

#6 hairyhammie

hairyhammie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:45 AM

Ha Ha, so I hold on to it for a year without an MOT and then sell for £12k...seems legit!

Decided to book it in for MOT when I'm back from holiday and then start advertising. I'll put it on the TMF sale section, but where's best to advertise outside of our community? I've lost trust in EBay over the last few years. Is Pistonheads good or the Miniworld classifieds?

#7 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:34 AM

As much as it pains me to say it, eBay will probably find it's highest price.  However, the downside is the very real chance of being so messed around, you'll wish you'd never bothered.

Start off on here first and see what interest it creates.

#8 hairyhammie

hairyhammie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 09:10 AM

Thanks Boyce, that's what I'm afraid of! Back from holiday now, so will book the MOT and go from there.

#9 harrythehat

harrythehat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:19 AM

who's to say where the price will be In a years time when it does not need an mot.

One things for sure a mini van appreciates at a much better rate than money in the bank.

so if it aint busting don't sell.

P.S. would do something about the bit of ruff around shocker mounts about the only thing seen that will put peeps off

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users