Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Local Club: Bognor Regis Motor Club

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:28 PM

Is there such a thing?

My rc40 is at the end of its life after 18 years. Lcb also is for a 998 and is currently on a 1275 so sits rather snugly up against the exhaust tunnel.

Considering going all out and get a full new stage 2 maniflow system with RCM and new LCB.

I've heard about the thick flanges on the maniflow system so will probably pay a few more quid for a new inlet manifold too to replace the current bashed about MG metro one.

Is the Maniflow one any good? And is there a better alternative for similar cost?

Edited by Trissy B, 17 September 2018 - 08:56 PM.

#2 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 10:01 PM

Hi,

Certainly a standard lcb and an rc40 will cause no drawbacks right up to a 120bhp 1380 so there's nothing to gain by moving up the ladder.

Again same with the inlet really.

Cheers  :proud:

Edited by Bat, 17 September 2018 - 10:03 PM.

#3 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 10:15 PM

This has been covered recently in the Problem section. My general take on it is that (having done a bit of digging) - unless you're over ~80hp, an LCB is a fiddle pain in the arse with no upside. Just use a Freeflow and save yourself the headache otherwise known as the Y-piece. I've recently switched a near standard 1275 from an LCB to a Freeflow and my seat-of-the-pants dyno says there's no difference in performance.

#4 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:37 AM

Hi Bat, that's interesting but maniflow say there is a difference.. only a rolling road will tell!

I currently have 80bhp but I want to a) overhaul the whole system and b) have a nice system there should I go 1310 or 1380 in the future.

Question really is about the inlet - is the Maniflow one any good?

#5 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:59 AM

Hi,

Supposed to be, I think Vizard recommended them?

I ran a Weber with a CT manifold so can only go on what I've heard.

Exhaust wise what I said above is what I ran on my 1380, 100 lb/ft and a still climbing 100bhp at 5000 rpm on a new build. The lcb was one I'd had for years from the local mini shop...

Changing to a 2" play mini system lost a lot of low end torque so the rc40 is as good as they say.

The millennium version is stainless, so I would have bought that if I hadn't fitted a rotary silencer instead.

Cheers  :proud:

#6 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:14 PM

What carb are you running?  The maniflow tubluar manifold for twin 1 1/2 SUs is superb, flows much better and less restrictive than a cast manifold.  But gains only at top end

#7 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:27 PM

Oh yea sorry I should have said! HIF44.

Currently have an MG metro inlet.

#8 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 06:11 AM

+1 for Vizard recommendation. In his book there is a detailed section on how well the Maniflow inlet flows compared to the competition. I think this was for the twin SU manifold, but I'm sure the same would go for a single. They are very well regarded when it comes to the manufacture/optimization of their parts. I think there is also a mention of their inlet manifold on Keith Calver's web site to under the technical section that may be worth a read.

#9 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 06:29 AM

Going to the opposite end from the inlet, I installed the Maniflow RCM. Very pleased, like the sound and torque. I’ve tried PECO, RC40 single as well as twin box. RCM worked the best for my engine and final drive (3.1:1). Good luck

#10 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for all the info and will definitely check the Bible when I'm back home.

Will probably have a word with maniflow too.

That Calver page is good. Updated since last time I looked. He highly recomends the minispares inlet but then again he does do work for them!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users