#1 Brucey

Brucey

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 04:19 PM

Hello there, 

I am shipping my car from the US to the UK, it will be arriving late next month. I need some help when it comes to the DVLA paperwork.

The car is a 1960 Mk1, and it is LHD. When I bought the car it was sold as 1963 Austin Mini Cooper, which it is not. I have gone through a lot of work to get the US paperwork corrected (the DMV in the USA is a nightmare). As it stands, the paperwork that the car will be coming in with accurately states that it is a 1960 Austin Mini. 

The only remaining issue is that the car has a cooper VIN, CA2S7L. The car was re-vinned at some point in its life, many years ago as the past 2 owners before me had the same VIN. 

Is there any way to get a new VIN for a 1960 Mk1 or is this just something I am going to have to live with?

Appreciate any and all advice!

#2 Milton

Milton

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Local Club: what no brakes

Posted 22 September 2018 - 04:30 PM

Good evening.

The following link may be of use to you.

https://www.gov.uk/i...les-into-the-uk

Best regards
Dave

#3 Brucey

Brucey

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 04:40 PM

I am using Phoenix Cargo, they will be handling the customs and duty information. 

My question is in regard to the technically incorrect VIN on the car. I want to know if there is anything that can be done to fix it or if I am stuck with it.

#4 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:01 PM

Have you checked to see if the vin is stamped into the gusset that joins the engine bay crossmember and inner wing? This was done from ‘59 into ‘60 so may be a starting point.

#5 Brucey

Brucey

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:11 PM

I did not know of this! The car has been resprayed recently, and definitely once before that as well. 

Is there a picture that clearly identifies where I should look? EDIT: I found the location using the 1959 Mini register website. The car is not yet in my possession, but I will take a look when it arrives. I have my doubts as to whether anything is still there!

It has the original wiper motor that identifies it as a 60. The FE number also identifies it as a 60, but I am told no record was ever kept of that number...

Attached Files

Edited by Brucey, 22 September 2018 - 05:16 PM.

#6 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:22 PM

FE = front end number -

I am told it has no reference to the VIN ?

but I don't believe everything I read on the internet - so would like to know if this is true my self

I suspect any ties with the real vin number will be a written record from the early 60's so doubt they exist now

It may pay to keep quiet about the vin being wrong (ringed) as I doubt they will give a reg number for a incorrect vin

but I may be wrong ?

Edited by sledgehammer, 22 September 2018 - 05:22 PM.

#7 Brucey

Brucey

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:25 PM

I have tried to get a Heritage Certificate, however it is based off the VIN and therefore would not be correct for this car. Sledgehammer, you are correct as they informed me that unfortunately the FE number is of no use. 

As I suspected, I will have to be silent about it and just get the v5 based on this VIN.....might affect the value if I was to ever try and sell it!

#8 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:44 PM

...might affect the value if I was to ever try and sell it!

more excuse to keep it & enjoy it

not every mini has a perfect history

worst case scenario is it  was stolen & sent to the states years ago - as many were & was given a new Id

But could have just had another shell at some point due to an accident / rust - I doubt you will find the truth anyway

it isn't a 90's MPI mascaraing as a Mk1 

so just get it registered & enjoy it 

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 23 September 2018 - 12:43 AM

It may seem like a small hair splitting point, but it may also make a difference with your DVLA (?).

In the era that this car was manufactured, there was no VIN system as it is today, the cars had FE and Body (Chassis) Nos, but strictly speaking, these are not VINs under the system that has only been in place since about 1981. Prior to that, some makers did use a VIN of sorts, but not to any standard.

I mention this as I know locally, a lad didn't tick a box on some paperwork when applying for new registration, that would have indicated the numbers were a Chassis Number and not a VIN. His car has been impounded for the past 3 years while the 'war' continues.

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 September 2018 - 12:55 AM

there are Oddites all over the place. in Germany you only have 2 Mk of Mini a Mk1 and all the rest are Mk2s (not sure about the commercials and estates). has caused questions for people exporting when the shipper says that aint a Mk2.

#11 Brucey

Brucey

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 10:22 AM

Thank you for all the replies! I shall register it under the Cooper VIN and enjoy it for what it is, as suggested.

I have no intention of selling it!

#12 matt615

matt615

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 11:31 AM

Maybe being registered as a Cooper would make it more valuable?

Wiper motor could easily have been swapped for another at some point, so I wouldn’t place too much emphasis on that alone.

#13 Brucey

Brucey

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 02:02 PM

It is definitely a 1960. Aside from the wiper motor, I asked the knowledgeable Simon on the mk1-forum and he informed me that my FE number of FE30501 dates back to the second half of march 1960 which is also what the wiper motor indicates. 

Additionally, the surrounds around my windshield are flat and without the indents which indicate 1959-1960. Thoughts?

#14 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 23 September 2018 - 02:32 PM

It is definitely a 1960. Aside from the wiper motor, I asked the knowledgeable Simon on the mk1-forum and he informed me that my FE number of FE30501 dates back to the second half of march 1960 which is also what the wiper motor indicates. 

Additionally, the surrounds around my windshield are flat and without the indents which indicate 1959-1960. Thoughts?

All 1959 cars have flat front & rear panels so the windscreens are not recessed. Post October 1960 are recessed.

1959 side gutter has no drip rail. Drip rails were added in May 1960.

http://1959miniregis...riations-shell/

Edited by mab01uk, 23 September 2018 - 02:32 PM.

#15 Brucey

Brucey

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 02:43 PM

All 1959 cars have flat front & rear panels so the windscreens are not recessed. Post October 1960 are recessed.

1959 side gutter has no drip rail. Drip rails were added in May 1960.

http://1959miniregis...riations-shell/

Exactly as you stated regarding the windshield. I have the factory cut drain holes with no drip rails so its a 1960 prior to May, which would be March as the FE number states. Post chassis 2011 for sure, as I have the inner wing locator for the bonnet prop. The chassis number tag on the front panel was 017683 but that tag is no longer on the car as it was rusted beyond belief. I was able to decipher it, however it was beyond repair.

It is a real shame that I cannot do anything about this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users