17 replies to this topic

#1 Wizzalong

Wizzalong

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 07:52 PM

I have replaced the complete floor on an spi, (heritage) does anyone know if the studs which are supposed to be fixed to floorpan for the fuel pipe brackets, available? I can't seem to find them listed on the usual sites,

Thanks, Mike.

#2 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:23 PM

Can you not just cut the head off a bolt with the correct thread?

#3 Wizzalong

Wizzalong

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:31 PM

They are more like a coarse self tapper thread.

#4 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:36 PM

They are more like a coarse self tapper thread.

What about cutting the thread from a self tapper? Would something like this do? https://www.spalding...tapping-screws/

#5 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:08 AM

They are studs. They need to be put on with a CD stud welder (looks like a gun)

They should be easy to find. I was lucky, when I did a factory tour at BMH, there was a complete injection floor with the studs. I asked the guy nearby where they got the studs from and he said "Theres a bucket of them over there, grab as many as you want!"

I've tried to weld them on using my spot welder, but have failed miserably. Some spot welders ahve the attachments/settings for it, but mine doesn't :(

Am having to hire in the machine to do it from a place in Hertford

Q

#6 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:20 AM

They should be easy to find. I was lucky, when I did a factory tour at BMH, there was a complete injection floor with the studs. I asked the guy nearby where they got the studs from and he said "Theres a bucket of them over there, grab as many as you want!"

I've tried to weld them on using my spot welder, but have failed miserably. Some spot welders ahve the attachments/settings for it, but mine doesn't :(

Q

Watching this with interest, I was thinking I may have to ditch the plastic and go P Clips as I couldn't work out what the studs were, any clue what the thread is? I wonder if there's another option that would work??

#7 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:37 AM

https://www.advanced...ecs-cd.html#CFS

These are the studs.

You  'could' pop a bolt through the floor in the right place, but I think that will create a rust trap. The welder is £100 to hire for the week, so I'm just going to bite the bullet and get it

Q

#8 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:21 PM

With a bit of effort, I think you could drill a hole in the floor pan the size of the head and weld from above, then grind back.

#9 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 02:54 PM

With a bit of effort, I think you could drill a hole in the floor pan the size of the head and weld from above, then grind back.

I was thinking the same, or a hole that is the right size to screw the stud down through and then weld from above may be easier....

#10 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:49 PM

These are the studs.

You  'could' pop a bolt through the floor in the right place, but I think that will create a rust trap. The welder is £100 to hire for the week, so I'm just going to bite the bullet and get it

Q

I was looking at this on eBay the other day. Probably not as good as a hire one but may do the job.

https://www.ebay.co....3.c100507.m3226

#11 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 27 September 2018 - 04:53 PM

Although not studs specifically for injection pipework, i drilled through the side of the tunnel then welded in studs for P clips. No rust trap as everything is sealed.

#12 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 27 September 2018 - 05:14 PM

These are the studs fitted and yes they are pointing in to the cabin but the plan was for internal pipework from the very beginning.

a1d86e61dc4f316dc66850fd058d4196e7226b16

ee98877a57574965b46dc4515cc9f55b40e19c41

This can easily be reversed as required. And if so desired you do not have to grind flush as they would be under carpet etc.

#13 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 08:09 AM

These are the studs.

Q

I was looking at this on eBay the other day. Probably not as good as a hire one but may do the job.

I may be wrong but I think that is just the gun and you also need the actual welder as well to go with it?

#14 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 28 September 2018 - 08:49 PM

These are the studs.

Q

I may be wrong but I think that is just the gun and you also need the actual welder as well to go with it?

Yes, after looking at it again, it shows the handle of the gun with no cables. Thanks for your keen eye, I was on the verge of giving it a try, although I must say the ad is a bit ambiguous and doesn't mention that extra equipment is needed. I suppose that's eBay for you!

#15 Wizzalong

Wizzalong

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:17 PM

Q

Do you have any studs left?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users