#61 camstterr

camstterr

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:31 AM

Looks really good nice project
I’m currently doing a very similar build (I have also been deciding on pistons for months)

I am currently debating side mount or rear mount turbo
What did you do with the brake servo? Did it clash with the side mount turbo?

I’m looking at going down the emerald ECU route at the moment and creating a selection of maps

What are your plans for the cylinder head ?

I have not been planning on doing a gearbox rebuild, do you think the standard A+ box can deal with 150 - 180
The new gears you got look amazing but £700 is a big chunk of money

#62 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 05 March 2019 - 12:36 PM

I’m currently doing a very similar build (I have also been deciding on pistons for months)

I’m looking at going down the emerald ECU route at the moment and creating a selection of maps

I have not been planning on doing a gearbox rebuild, do you think the standard A+ box can deal with 150 - 180

If you're not going above 180bhp, you don't need anything special, the 21253 machined for low compression works well. The standard box will take 150/160 as long as you don't rag it in first all the time.

#63 jsyjamie

jsyjamie

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 02:21 PM

Hi Cam,

You do need to ditch the brake servo to accommodate the side mount manifold but it is pretty simple using the yellow tag brake master cylinder with a few other bits.

http://minispares.co...sic/GMC227.aspx

Cylinder head will be going to Turbo Phil to work his magic. As I mentioned in another post I am looking for a compression ratio of around 8.50 so with my +20 10cc pistons the head chambers need to be around 27cc according to this handy calculator.

https://jscalc.io/ca...RNEglVkKLQir11T

The sky is the limit with Mini parts, I decided to go for the Evolution gear set because I didn't want the constant whine from the straight cut set but they will do almost the exact same job for half the price.

http://www.minispare...ic/C-STN39.aspx

As Steve says you can build a good spec turbo engine for a lot less but my thinking is that saving a few quid here and there probably isn't worth it in the long run. Build it once and build it properly!

Cheers,

Jamie 

#64 camstterr

camstterr

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 04:52 PM

Cheers for the information
Might go for a rear mounted as I prefer driving with the servo

A lot of guys on here go with Phil for head mods
I was planning on porting it myself but I no longer have the use of a flow bench to check flow
Need to decide if I’m going to go to the effort of valve & seat design or just improve port flow
I am not sure if the small tweets will be worth it on a turbo engine.

I need to find a mini to have a ride in with straight cut gears
I have not been in one before and I’m interested to see how whinny it really is.

I’ll be looking forward to seeing more pictures
I need to start making some progress
I have just sent off the subframes to be powder coated and the shell is in a split roast ready for me to weld all the new panels on.

#65 jsyjamie

jsyjamie

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:07 AM

I do a lot of cycling so luckily my left leg is up to the task of non servo brakes! Haha

The straight cut gears aren't that bad to be fair and a lot of people love the noise they make but I will be driving for several hours to and from tracks and I know it would do my head in. Have a watch of some youtube videos if you can't find anyone locally.

Thanks mate, I've subbed your thread so looking forward to some updates from you too.

Cheers,

Jamie

Edited by jsyjamie, 11 March 2019 - 08:45 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares