#1 Ivandit

Ivandit

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 03:15 PM

Hi everyone,

I recently joined the forum and the "Mini world" with the exciting project of bringing a 1980 convertible back to life. This is my first Mini experience, so I don't even know where to start! :lol:

She's been stored for over 8 years, but as mentioned in my introduction post her overall condition is quite good, with the worst areas being brakes and suspension (rear subframe looks like it will need a replacement). I would like to re-do the interior (it's currently quite terrible) and under the bonnet there will be some work to do as well.

So...my first absolute-noob question would be...is there any particular order? I guess stripping it all to check the body is OK and repair any sign of rust? and then? It's a winter project (hopefully just winter, hahaha!) so no rush at all, I'd rather do it well than quick ;)

As a starting point, the photos I used to introduce her:

msyqtf.jpg

a47erp.jpg

Thanks!!

#2 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:34 AM

Hi,

Welcome to the forum  :proud:

First I'd build a shed to put all the parts in your going to remove when stripping the shell.

It doesn't look like you've got enough room for storage and working on the shell in your garage.

Cheers  :proud:

#3 Ivandit

Ivandit

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 12:16 PM

Thanks Bat!

That garage is where it was parked when I went to pick it up, luckily I have a bit more room than that in my garage...it would have been a pain in there! ^_^

#4 Ivandit

Ivandit

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 11:41 AM

Hi all,

A quick update with the first steps. As recommended everywhere, I started by removing the fuel tank, what also was good to have a closer view to the area and take note of the issues found.

As expected, rust was the main one, being not too bad on some areas and (as I guess to be normal) quite a lot in some others.

I took some photos, feel free to comment/advice!! ;D

I might be wrong because of inexperience, but the trunk looks fairly good, some bits of rust here and there but nowhere near some of the restorations I´ve seen before.

72q7ug.jpg

bhewib.jpg

The battery box needs some attention

c013c.jpg

The trunk lid looks OK, despite some (IMO) terrible spraying.

10nezbn.jpg

34j4y6o.jpg

As expected, the bumber and its mounts are quite rusty. 2 out of 3 bolts broke when trying to remove the mounting nuts...I´ll search how to fix that >_<

1z4yj38.jpg

sd1dvc.jpg

Only rust in the tank is this, not sure how to fix it (I read some serious advice about risks when working on petrol tanks). The interior looks OK, but there´s quite a lot of dirt...any advice for cleaning it?

10ygck4.jpg

The rear subframe is, as expected, the worst part so far. I´m not sure if it´s worth restoring or maybe just getting a new one. Same for brake drums, maybe replacing the whole thing is safer?

s3q5qg.jpg

1zqg67c.jpg

2me3b15.jpg

Thanks!!

#5 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 10:15 PM

this is what it looks like underneath for reference:

7KzBGuK.jpg

Q

#6 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:32 AM

Great project, and welcome!

You'll have to go through the entire car but on first glance, it looks pretty good on the whole.

That rear subframe is obviously very crusty but you may find that once it's removed, it's not as bad as it looks.  If you don't manage to make any holes in it, have it media blasted and then paint and refit.  I try to save all the usable original subframes I can find as the modern reproductions are very thin (and noticeably lighter in weight).  The super-expensive Heritage frames are hardly any better in my experience either.

Have fun!

#7 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:40 AM

Hi,

Looking fairly solid so far. Removing the subframe will allow you to see the top of it and more of the floor. I too would use the subframe again if it's solid.

Cheers  :proud:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users