3 replies to this topic

#1 redcooper

redcooper

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:54 PM

The air inlet pipe at the bottom of the box has a clamp arrangement at its bottom end. What is this for ? Is there an extension pipe of some sort so air is picked up away from the hot exhaust ?

There is also a small clip on the underside of the box towards the front can anyone tell me what this is for or what it connects to ?

Finally does anyone know what the thread is on the elbow stud - it looks metric ?

Thanks for help.

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,818 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 10 October 2018 - 08:19 PM

I know the clamp to which you refer, there was a short extension, with a small bell mouth to it, fitted here

YY7s8Vk.jpg

I think the clip to which you refer is a Factory Mod (fix) to a potential issue of throttle jamming, but I thought it was introduced a year or so later than your model?

EHwelfm.jpg

The Thread for the Nuts that hold the Air Filter Case in place are 5/16" UNC

#3 redcooper

redcooper

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:24 PM

Very helpful, thank you very much. I have not seen these pics before.  I suspect the clip I mentioned would be where the top of the throttle return spring is in the bottom pic.

I have not yet fitted the box but it seems odd to me that it was designed to take air from so close to the exhaust manifold. 

I can fabricate item 11, the extension tube do you happen to know its length ? 

I also need to fabricate two of the special wing nut cover fixing bolts unless of course someone has some originals to sell.

Also has anyone found a filter element which might be better than the cheap ones available but less expensive than the K & N option at some £44 each ?

Thanks again for help.

#4 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:59 AM

The mini had problems with the carbs icing up especially in cold weather, so they are designed to take in hot air. For winter you would extend the intake closer to the exhaust. I can measure the length of the additional intake tube on mine tomorrow. 

You can get the wing nuts from min-e-bitz or DSN classics make new ones. They are also the same as early Morris Minor ones, but they need cutting shorter and the threads taken deeper. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users