28 replies to this topic

#16 motorwise

motorwise

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 05:53 PM

Most MoT stations when testing an older classic car will not be bothered by perspex side windows. I can't find the requirement for the side windows to be made from glass on the MoT website.
Link please.

https://www.mot-test...y.html#section_

defects D and E

I must admit when i test older vehicles i give the benefit of doubt to a lot of things
Looking at that. What is designated as safety glass? Poly carb is much stronger

safety glass is marked i think ... not sure though but as with all test regs if as a tester, we're in doubt we give the car presenter the benefit of the doubt 

#17 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 14 October 2018 - 06:13 PM

Out of interest did mk3 coopers ever have sliding windows? Some clubmans did, didn't they?

Mk3 Cooper S and all Clubmans/1275GT had winding windows as they were introduced by BL in 1969 with the Mk3 bodyshell/doors. The Van and Pickup were the only Minis that continued until the end of their production with Mk1/2 doors and sliding windows.

A few very late Mk2 Minis looked like Mk3 as they were sold in the new Mk3 colours and with Mk3 style bootlids but still had sliding windows which does confuse some people but change overs to production were often phased in as parts were used up creating some confusing hybrids which don't exist in the official documents and parts lists!

Edited by mab01uk, 14 October 2018 - 06:17 PM.

#18 ckneller321

ckneller321

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:16 PM

Well that MOT link certainly reads in complete contradiction to the IVA manual! Nice and consistent of VOSA. I assume they’re both VOSA things?

Safety glass is defined as exactly that... glass. The term safety glazing is then used to define all other materials including glass.

#19 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 15 October 2018 - 04:33 PM

Well that MOT link certainly reads in complete contradiction to the IVA manual! Nice and consistent of VOSA. I assume they’re both VOSA things?

Safety glass is defined as exactly that... glass. The term safety glazing is then used to define all other materials including glass.

Yep. Interesting they way it says glass for the windscreen and glass / glazing for the others.

#20 motorwise

motorwise

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:21 PM

they love a contradiction .... they're definition today when i asked was toughened or laminated glass nothing else (windscreen and glass either side of the driver)

#21 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:05 PM

..according to The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, pre '78 all glass should be safety glass.  Post '78 it seems safety glazing is allowed for windows not in front, or to the side of the driver

this piece of legislation also provides the following definition

“safety glazing” means material (other than glass) which is so constructed or treated that if fractured it does not fly into fragments likely to cause severe cuts;

31.—(1)  This regulation applies to a motor vehicle which is—

(a)a wheeled vehicle, not being a caravan, first used before 1st June 1978;

(b)a caravan first used before 1st September 1978; or

©a track-laying vehicle.

(2)  The glass fitted to any window specified in an item in column 3 of the Table of a vehicle of a class specified in that item in column 2 shall be safety glass.

TABLE

(regulation 31(2))

1 2 3 Item Class of vehicle Windows

1 Wheeled vehicles first used on or after 1st January 1959, being passenger vehicles or dual-purpose vehicles. Wind screens and all outside windows.

post '78, 

32.—(1)  This regulation applies to—

(a)a caravan first used on or after 1st September 1978, and

(b)a wheeled motor vehicle and a wheeled trailer, not being a caravan, first used on or after 1st June 1978.

(2)  Save as provided in paragraphs (3) to (9) the windows specified in column 2 of Table I in relation to a vehicle of a class specified in that column shall be constructed of the material specified in column 3 of that Table.

TABLE I

(regulation 32(2))

1 2 3 Item Window Material

1 Windscreens and other windows wholly or partly on either side of the driver's seat fitted to motor vehicles first used on or after 1st April 1985. Specified safety glass (1980).

2 Windscreens and other windows wholly or partly on either side of the driver's seat fitted to a motor vehicles first used before 1st April 1985. Specified safety glass, or specified safety glass (1980).

3 All other windows. Specified safety glass, specified safety glass (1980), or safety glazing.

Edited by KTS, 15 October 2018 - 09:07 PM.

#22 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 02:12 PM

Most MoT stations when testing an older classic car will not be bothered by perspex side windows. I can't find the requirement for the side windows to be made from glass on the MoT website.

Link please.

https://www.mot-test...y.html#section_

defects D and E 

I must admit when i test older vehicles i give the benefit of doubt to a lot of things

Our local MOT stations (In Northern Ireland, when their lifts arent broken!) are very lenient to old cars when testing, there is a degree of sympathy towards how they test the cars and they are genuinely pleased to test something more interesting than a modern SUV or hatchback.

#23 villa3

villa3

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Local Club: West Sussex mini club

Posted 17 March 2020 - 02:30 AM

Why would you want sliding windows,they were rubbish,froze shut in frost,rattled in any weather and hot in summer.Its fine recreating old minis but to be honest to use one as a daily back in the day was always a challenge.

#24 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 17 March 2020 - 07:25 AM

Why would you want sliding windows,they were rubbish,froze shut in frost,rattled in any weather and hot in summer.Its fine recreating old minis but to be honest to use one as a daily back in the day was always a challenge.

Very true......But many modern car drivers could ask the same question of why any of us want to drive a classic Mini today when there are far safer, faster, more efficient, more refined and comfortable cars available?

Edited by mab01uk, 17 March 2020 - 07:27 AM.

#25 mkw

mkw

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 10:12 AM

I did this years ago myself, made all the templates then got the glass made up as I didn't want to use plastics.

Never had trouble with MOT's. I actually put external hinges on at the same time, not just the stick on ones you can buy.

Was a pretty big job as you need to take a fair bit of weight out of the door so you don't strain the hinges.

#26 Ol timer

Ol timer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 08:04 PM

mkw. I have this window mod done and ripped out the window winders. I do have the stick on hinges but would prefer real ones.
where else did you shed weight and how easy was it to fit the hinges. I would prefer the real ones like you. did you have to do any other mods to the doors ?

#27 mkw

mkw

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 10:30 PM

First, standard A panels won't take the weight of the door on the hinges so you need inner A panels as per mk1 cars, or I suppose you could make a bracket of some sort but I liked the idea of it looking original even from underneath. Next I took as much of the inner door away as possible, leaving only enough steel in place to fit the pull handle and clip the door card back in. Once i'd done that I made an L shaped bracket to fit to the original hinge mount and run behind the skin of the door, this way your actually fitting the hinges to a bracket (not skin) and that transfers the weight back to where the door is designed to take it.

If you look at the link in my signature i'm sure there are some pics of what i did on there. I hope that makes sense but it's awkward to explain. Give me a shout if you need anything other help.

#28 CooperKid

CooperKid

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 01:03 AM

Does anyone know if this kit allows the fit of MK1 glass or is it sized to fit the MK3 specifically?

I would be very tempted as we have spare glass. I don’t know if I’d be as tempted if not as the kit is near on £400!

EDIT

Scratch that...just seen the full description on flebay :P

Edited by CooperKid, 29 March 2020 - 01:07 AM.

#29 Lucas1988

Lucas1988

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Local Club: Frome Mini Club

Posted 11 December 2022 - 03:29 PM

Anyone fitted one of these new sliding window kits yet?

"CONVERT YOUR MK3 MINI WINDOW TO THE ORIGINAL SLIDING STLYE with our bespoke new product Classic Mini Conversion Panels and are a UK company, based in Norfolk. We have designed and manufactured a product for customers to be able to get the old-style look of the mk1 Mini sliding windows into their mk3 onwards models. Just to let you know we will be releasing the external hinges soon for the full mk1 look!"

https://en-gb.facebo...nversionpanels/

vXgeeXXl.jpg

96hVUxXl.jpg

0FzZpKkl.jpg

D7UJKEdl.jpg

Full kit:-

https://www.ebay.co....tm/253915463544

Conversion panels only kit:-

https://www.ebay.co....tm/253911367562

Do you have any of the full kits left?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users