Hi, reaching out to try and solve my long lasting mini issue! Hopefully someone can shine some light on the problem...
Mini: 1973 Leyland Mini Clubman 1100cc from Australia
Issue: At a stand still the mini is very difficult to get into 1st gear. Can just about get into 2nd gear. Once i get going third and fourth gear are no problem.
What I have done already:
- Previous owner changed the master cylinder and slave cylinder for the clutch.
- I have taken the gearbox apart and rebuilt it with a rebuild kit. Very little to almost no wear seen.
- Installed new shifting rods.
- Installed a new clutch and pressure plate.
- Installed gearbox stability mounts.
- Installed short shift.
What seems to help:
- I have gone through the clutch throw out adjustment sequence multiple times and it makes very little difference.
- I purchased a pressure bleed kit and bled the clutch. This made a big improvement.
My conclusion / brainstorming:
- Maybe there is a slow leak or not a tight seal in the line. This means that the clutch is not fully actuating. BUT, why does third and fourth work fine whilst the mini is going? Its only when the mini is at a stand still that it won't go into gear.
- (1) Is it a clutch problem? (I think it is)
- (2) Is it a gearbox problem? (I don't think so, its fully rebuilt and went together nicely. Little to no wear noted)
- (3) Is it a combination of the two?
- Is there a sequence of things I can do to find out what the problem is?
Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated!