50 replies to this topic

#46 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,103 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:19 PM

New standard rubber mounts front and rear or ALL solid mounts front and rubber mounts rear. Forget poly.
And definitely forget springs - just install new, GENUINE donuts.

Little gain in increasing track (I’m assume you have disc brakes) and it will almost certainly mess up the suspension geometry.
Bad tramlining means you need to get the suspension alignment (tracking, camber and caster) measured, adjusted and optimised. This may involve fitting adjustable kit.

#47 KTS

KTS

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:29 PM

solid mounts should improve the way the car responds to steering inputs, and may improve handling under braking as the subframe can't twist as it can with rubber mounts

You'll get a little more noise transmitted to the shell through solid mounts, but a minor downside compared to the potential gains

If you go with solid mounts, the rear and tower bolt mounts (spacer top & bottom) must be done at the same time. The front teardrop mount I think is less critical. As long as the rear and top mounts are solidly fixed the front of the subframe shouldn't move, so the standard rubber teardrop mounts should be OK to hold the front panel in place

Also worth considering reinforcing the toeboard around the subframe mounts if you're switching to solids mounts

#48 Will96

Will96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:09 PM

Thank you guys. Yeah you're correct in assuming I have disks. Also got hi-lo's set up so my ride height is around cooper ish. Purely for aesthetic as I thought the standard for the mini 850s were a bit high for my liking. If the noise isn't too bad then i think solid sound like a good choice then. As it'll be a 1380 I'm a bit concerned with vibration noise, as my current 998 is already ear bleedy around 4500 rpm. So if anyone has any tricks or tips, I'm open for suggestions :)

#49 grizzler73

grizzler73

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:50 PM

Steer clear of the coil springs. Dangerous. Stick with rubber cones.

#50 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,980 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:00 AM

If you want it to drive as the original Mini did with that special precision and great steering response, then fit the solid mounts to the sub-frame. Do not fit those horrible poly ones.

As mentioned before, the reason the car was fitted with rubber front sub-frame mounts was because at that time the target market had changed form younger drivers to middle-aged lady drivers, so NHV reduction was considered more important than dynamic steering response. So the question is whether you want an 'old ladies' Mini or a 'responsive' mini. The choice it yours. Personally, I never notice much difference in noise, harshness and vibration with solid rather than rubber mounts, but there is a great difference in feel and steering response with solid.

#51 Will96

Will96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:59 AM

Excellent. Well looks like new rubber cones and solid sub mounts then. Thanks for the responses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares