12 replies to this topic

#1 AdamC83

AdamC83

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:26 PM

Greetings! Just aquired an 87 E reg Advantage, 53k miles and pretty solid! Needs 2 sills due to poor previous patchwork and a coat of paint with new decals to finish her off. Interior is great so little needed to get that back to original condition.
She’s been sat in a garage for 10 years so as you can imagine didn’t fire up with just a new battery. Done all service items on it today including new oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, dizzy cap, leads and plugs, fuel pipes, fuel tank too but still no fire up unless you spray easy start in the carb, found the fuel pump to be the issue, new one going on Monday so fingers crossed.

Anyway here she is... :)

qWkRaI.jpg

GDG1Vk.jpg

MppdG8.jpg

zVUn84.jpg

46wroL.jpg

QkZcRq.jpg

sTgtlj.jpg

LjT9M2.jpg

zM6S0x.jpg

If the pics don’t work let me know!

Edited by AdamC83, 14 October 2018 - 02:18 PM.

#2 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:38 PM

They don't work ;)

Q

#3 AdamC83

AdamC83

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:19 PM

They don't work ;)

Q

Should be good now :)

#4 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:01 AM

Hi,

Looks a nice original car.

Cheers  :proud:

#5 AdamC83

AdamC83

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:27 AM

Got her running today :)

From reading on here I found a tiny earth wire that goes to the inner wing wasn’t in one piece anymore, new wire fitted and away she went! Fuel pump is working now too, are they related?

#6 paul748

paul748

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:37 AM

Hi

That's a very nice mini. I've always liked the advantage, used to have one a few years back.

Fuel pump is mechanical so earth wire has nowt to do with it. Must have been co-incidence?

#7 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:57 AM

Hi,

Fuel pump was probably gummed up and the fuel has freed it up.

Cheers  :proud:

#8 AdamC83

AdamC83

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 09:31 AM

Next question, indicators and horn don’t work, hazards work ok so do we think it’s the stalk seeing as they are both on there?

#9 AdamC83

AdamC83

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 09:54 AM

And on an 87 will it be good for unleaded fuel or will it need an additive to run properly?

#10 paul748

paul748

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:00 AM

Hi

The indicators and hazards use separate flasher units fed from separate fuses.

I would have a good look at the fusebox which is mounted on the bulkhead. They can suffer from corrosion of the terminals and give strange symptoms.

The horn is also fed from a separate fuse. Remove the horn from its mounting on the front slam panel and make sure it is clean, it uses the mounting point as its earth.

Electrical issues on these old minis can be a nightmare to find as corrosion gets into the terminals and wiring loom.

Unleaded heads were used after 1988 so very likely you have a mini designed for leaded fuel. It will run 'properly' on unleaded but very high mileages could eventually damage the exhaust valve seats. Additives for unleaded fuel are available.

#11 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:10 PM

oh nice ! Im restoring an advantage too! My thread is called " mini Dis-advantage project" really interesting to see your car, its very original and that is how i want mine to be! Hope you keep it original as there isnt many left! Good luck with it!

Edited by Avtovaz, 13 October 2018 - 07:12 PM.

#12 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:36 PM

Wow, nice! Still on the correct wheel trims and with the advantage decals too. Nice to see a special edition that has kept its originality, and hasn't just been turned into yet another trophy blue mini! Lovely!

#13 AdamC83

AdamC83

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:56 PM

Keeping it all as it should be don’t worry, I like the chrome bumpers but it needs some grey bumpers and a chrome fuel cap to be as it left the factory, other than that I believe everything else to be all original equipment and correct for the Advantage. Do please correct me if you see anything else that it should have that I’m unaware of.

I do however need one screw cap for the passenger door window winder in grey and a standard 4 speed gearknob if anyone has either spare?

Edited by AdamC83, 13 October 2018 - 08:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users