Photo
- - - - -

Pressure Plate Balance Markings

Best Answer Spider , 20 October 2018 - 05:10 PM

It can be balanced off the Crank. Usually, the guys doing the Balancing prefer to check the Crank is right, then add the other parts to it, one at a time and balance each of these as they go. It does end up with the best result, but balancing the Flywheel off crank, will end up with an acceptable result.

The other reason they like to have your Crank is so they have a means of Mounting the Flywheel in the Balancer. If your Balancer Man doesn't have a Mini Crank to do this on, he may ask you to supply one, which you have have a spare or be able to borrow one.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Other-car-is-a-1275GT

Other-car-is-a-1275GT

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:19 PM

Pre-verto Clutch Setup

*All new*

Ultralight Flywheel

Lightened pressure plate

Borg&Beck Pre-verto clutch kit

I went to assemble my clutch/flywheel this evening and i have noticed that there isn't a balance marking on the new lightened pressure plate.

Any suggestions? What should be done - assemble anyway?

Thanks,

Adam

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:39 PM

As pressure plates are machined almost all over, they are fairly well balanced. 

If you  HAVE  to use the car tomorrow, go ahead, but keep the revs as much below 3,000 for as long as you can, and start stripping the engine on Monday.

I haven't done this, but I once suggested it and it apparently worked, all-be-it on a tractor

Cobble up two Spirit levels and sellotape on them, like a pitched roof, lengths of small, drawn angle alluminium  ( it is usually more precision than steel), and B&Q sell it.

Put the crank on its front and rear bearing on the leveled alluminium at various 'clock' angles and watch for a one in three chance of rotation.

Re assemble twice differently, and in one combination there should be no hint of rotation.

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 13 October 2018 - 03:42 AM

The lightened Flywheels and Backing Plates usually come un-balanced (I've not had any that were). How far out would they be? Some I've had done hardly needed anything done for balancing and others have needed material removed and weight added. You wouldn't know until they have been done. I wouldn't be fitting them without having the Balanced. Following having them all balances, it would be a wise idea to mark them all in a permanent way for future reference.

#4 Other-car-is-a-1275GT

Other-car-is-a-1275GT

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:42 PM

The lightened Flywheels and Backing Plates usually come un-balanced (I've not had any that were). How far out would they be? Some I've had done hardly needed anything done for balancing and others have needed material removed and weight added. You wouldn't know until they have been done. I wouldn't be fitting them without having the Balanced. Following having them all balances, it would be a wise idea to mark them all in a permanent way for future reference.

Thanks - So next steps are to balance the system. 

How to go about this? I.e What should be balanced with what (Flywheel + Pressure plate bolted together OR Flywheel + Pressure Plate Separate OR Whole assembled clutch)?

Thanks,

Adam

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:51 PM

ideally pressure plate balanced. flywheel balanced. both together with spring to check.  and then it should be checked on your crank with the damper fitted. so all rotating parts, 

#6 Other-car-is-a-1275GT

Other-car-is-a-1275GT

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 04:44 PM

ideally pressure plate balanced. flywheel balanced. both together with spring to check.  and then it should be checked on your crank with the damper fitted. so all rotating parts, 

The issue that I now have is that my "in-use" crank is in the engine (that I just rebuilt). However, could I use a 998 crank to balance the clutch system then transfer the balanced clutch onto a 1275 crank? Assuming that the 1275 crank is balanced.

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 20 October 2018 - 05:10 PM   Best Answer

It can be balanced off the Crank. Usually, the guys doing the Balancing prefer to check the Crank is right, then add the other parts to it, one at a time and balance each of these as they go. It does end up with the best result, but balancing the Flywheel off crank, will end up with an acceptable result.

The other reason they like to have your Crank is so they have a means of Mounting the Flywheel in the Balancer. If your Balancer Man doesn't have a Mini Crank to do this on, he may ask you to supply one, which you have have a spare or be able to borrow one.

#8 Other-car-is-a-1275GT

Other-car-is-a-1275GT

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:45 PM

I've now had the whole crank assembly balanced! 

However, I've checked it all over and there isn't any alignment marks on the pressure plate, nor has any material been removed or added - I can understand this if it is perfect...?

It's my understanding that the diaphragm alignment mark ('A') has to align with the pressure plate alignment mark ('A') through the opening adjacent to the timing markings on the flywheel.

I've rang to query the alignment markings and have been told that the pressure plate can be aligned in any of the three possible combinations (keeping the diaphragm in the same location).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:04 PM

so it came back fully assembled? make your own marks to show the way they had it when balanced. material is not always removed from the back of the pressure plate so you may not see it until you disassemble to fit the friction plate.

it would be rare for nothing needing to be done but maybe they only balanced it as an assy. talk to them.

I would expect the flywheel to have been balanced and the re balanced with the pressure plate fitted. and the pressure plate adjusted to make it true again. may be it was just right as was.

#10 Other-car-is-a-1275GT

Other-car-is-a-1275GT

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:18 PM

so it came back fully assembled? make your own marks to show the way they had it when balanced. material is not always removed from the back of the pressure plate so you may not see it until you disassemble to fit the friction plate.

it would be rare for nothing needing to be done but maybe they only balanced it as an assy. talk to them.

I would expect the flywheel to have been balanced and the re balanced with the pressure plate fitted. and the pressure plate adjusted to make it true again. may be it was just right as was.

No, it came back disassembled. 

From what I understand - they balanced the crankshaft then they balanced the flywheel assembly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users