9 replies to this topic

#1 dangerousdowning

dangerousdowning

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:59 PM

Getting ready to MOT the mini. It's been off the road for over two years, simply due to lack of requirement. With all the jobs done, I thought it wasn't running great (was tuned on a rolling road the last year it was driven) and noticed it didn't appear to be firing in the third chamber. Remove the plug to find it was back and oily. So for the sake of £8, I chucked some new plugs in at and it does appear to be firing on all 4, but filming the exhaust, I can't decide if it'a too smokey...the oily plug being a sign. 

It's either MOT time or further investigation.

Any input it greatly appreciated.

This is the clip of it running:

https://www.youtube....?v=fbqXUFVNHFI 

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 14 October 2018 - 03:16 PM

Did you check that the coil and other dizzy components are ok? The oily plug could just be valve stem seals. The misfire may also be because of poor quality fuel

#3 motorwise

motorwise

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 03:29 PM

as a tester i think if it clears after a couple of purges i'd pass and advise that .... your fella might think differently .... it's a testers opinion type thing to be honest 

#4 dangerousdowning

dangerousdowning

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:10 PM

I've not checked the coil - I've never replaced it since owning the car from 2004 (it's spend more of those years off the road, than on).

I replaced the points with one of those electronic conversion kits a few years back.

Fuel in it was old and barely had any in it - the car conked out after about 15 minutes of it running, then added some fresh fuel from a jerry can.

My tester likes his classics - he's just a tester and doesn't do repairs. He understands it's not a daily driver, but obviously depends on how it is on the day.

Can I do the valve stem seals with the head still in situ?

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:36 PM

I've not checked the coil - I've never replaced it since owning the car from 2004 (it's spend more of those years off the road, than on).

I replaced the points with one of those electronic conversion kits a few years back.

Fuel in it was old and barely had any in it - the car conked out after about 15 minutes of it running, then added some fresh fuel from a jerry can.

My tester likes his classics - he's just a tester and doesn't do repairs. He understands it's not a daily driver, but obviously depends on how it is on the day.

Can I do the valve stem seals with the head still in situ?

In theory you can change the valve stem oil seals with the head on, but it is very 'fiddley' ad requires a special tool to hold the valves in place whilst pressing down on the valve cap with another special tool to remove the valve colletts. Personally I think it is easier to take the head off. Then, whilst it is off, you can check the bores, re-lap the valves and clean out the combustion chambers.

If fitting new seals use the latest MPI seals.

#6 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 05:02 PM

I shudder when I see people pull plug leads off when the engine is running!  Have you ever had an HT shock before?!

When were the valve clearances last done?

#7 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 14 October 2018 - 05:23 PM

I shudder when I see people pull plug leads off when the engine is running! Have you ever had an HT shock before?!

Had a couple of them when searching for a noisy alternator bearing with an uninsulated screwdriver ?

#8 motorwise

motorwise

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 05:59 PM

I shudder when I see people pull plug leads off when the engine is running!  Have you ever had an HT shock before?!

me too ... do it to a modern coil and you could easily die  O_O

#9 dangerousdowning

dangerousdowning

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 06:50 PM

me too ... do it to a modern coil and you could easily die  O_O

Never had a shock - something I've do on mini's over the last 25 years. Something a mechanic showed me, to determine if it was firing on all cylinders.....I guess its not a wise thing to do. 

#10 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 06:59 PM

It's a perfectly good way to see if the plug is firing!  But once you get a 'belt' from the ignition, you tend not to go back there unless absolutely necessary  ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users