• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 05:46 PM

Hey guys. This is something that I've never come across, but I'm certain a lot of you guys will have. 

On my travels rebuilding a wiring harness off a 90's mini to go into my '85 city e, I've come across this plug, It spurs off the Main run that goes to the ignition barrel, I can't seem to find it on my wiring diagrams in Haynes, i must be looking at the wrong one perhaps, or have missed it somewhere?

The plug in question: 

tHILNf4.jpg

I just need to know what it is so i can at least label it up, or, if expendable, cut it out. 

Apologies if this has already been asked and identified! hard to do a search when you're not sure what you're looking for.

Many thanks.

#2 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.O.C

Posted 14 October 2018 - 06:54 PM

Where on the wiring loom is it located (front or rear)..?

Maybe for the export market....? Im thinking it might be power for AC if it was available in 1985....?

OR for a front windscreen heater...?

Whatever its for, it was intended to light up at night, the wire that is red with green tracer usually indicates illumination....

#3 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 08:11 PM

Where on the wiring loom is it located (front or rear)..?

Maybe for the export market....? Im thinking it might be power for AC if it was available in 1985....?

OR for a front windscreen heater...?

Whatever its for, it was intended to light up at night, the wire that is red with green tracer usually indicates illumination....

Hi, like i said, It spurs off the Ignition barrel, by so it is right up by the stalks.  Also, as mentioned - the harness is not from an '85 car, but it is destined for one. I believe this is a later harness off a 90's mini, allegedly a carb'd cooper, but it doesn't quite match the haynes diagram for the said vehicle.

The green and white comes off the back of the same green/white that goes to the barrel. the purple shows connectivity with the purple that illuminates the brake test lamp switch! I haven't checked out the the green/red but drew the same conclusion as you, that it would be likely to at least be working alongside the other green/red wires. 

Front windscreen heater, interesting idea, was it an option? the plug doesn't appear to be the type what would go onto the back of a switch however.

Thanks for your thoughts!

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,931 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:43 AM

Working off the Colours of the wires, there. Left & Right Indicators and a live 12V Fused feed.

#5 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 03:08 AM

Hi,

To belp with id can you tell us what the colours actually are.

It looks like green with a white trace, but you're saying it's an ignition feed which would be white with a green trace.

Purple is obviously permanent.

The other looks like a red with green trace which would be side lights or indicators if it's green/red...

Cheers  :proud:

#6 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:16 PM

Hi,

To belp with id can you tell us what the colours actually are.

It looks like green with a white trace, but you're saying it's an ignition feed which would be white with a green trace.

Purple is obviously permanent.

The other looks like a red with green trace which would be side lights or indicators if it's green/red...

Hi Bat, thanks for your input. Looks like my Harnesses and Haynes disagrees with your colour I.D, both diagrams and my harnesses have a LG/W feed to the ignition, rather than the opposite that you suggest. On this particular diagram you can see where the LG/W does split off, and although not pictured, this single wire goes to a radio (if fitted) though it doesn't explain the other two wires.

Part labelled '35' is the ignition barrel:

TEHVbbK.jpg

Purple is indeed permanent. And the R/G cable is - as you suggest- pointing towards the side light circuit.

I6qhNrF.jpg

Here you can see the spur of the LG/W coming out the back of the lower plug and then doubling back to go to my mystery plug (you will notice I have had to repair this cable with some DG/W as the cable was severely damaged, i assume from removal of the harness)

So it seems to me we have a Permanent live, a switched live, and a possible illumination link. Sure sounds like it might be nothing more than a Radio plug to me!! 

Thanks for the comments so far chaps.

#7 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 03:07 PM

Hi,

It's certainly looking like a radio plug. Your dark green repair wire threw me off the scent.

Light green is position 1on the ignition for radio and blower motor on the later cars.

#8 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 15 October 2018 - 05:45 PM

goes to the radio another small loom from the radio

#9 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 06:51 PM

goes to the radio another small loom from the radio

Yup, looks like that is the answer, thanks for the confirmation :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users