#1 AUSTINMINI1985

AUSTINMINI1985

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 10:56 PM

Hi there
Ive read on the internet if i pour oil in my pistons it should tell if they are worn or not.
Not sure if this actually works.
Which i have done for 4 days and oil hasn’t dropped any.
Long story short
Ive been getting fuel in oil tried all that can be done. New fuel pump. Carb rebuild, new carb and 5 tins off oil. Pistons all 4 read 120psi.

So looking ways the check pistons/rings and bores before ripping block apart.

Have noticed my head and valves are black with carbon and was wondering could i lose compression threw head.

#2 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 04:33 AM

Hi,

Yes you can loose compression through the head if the valves are not sealing properly.

As for bore wash the tell tale sign is the bores are glazed, they look like someone has put a thin layer of glass on them.

If it is bore wash you still need to find what's causing it before sorting the bores.and rings.

Cheers  :proud:

Edited by Bat, 15 October 2018 - 04:34 AM.

#3 harrythehat

harrythehat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:00 AM

valves covered in carbon sound like over fuelling somewhere along the line if your mpg has been drastically low look at tuning

#4 AUSTINMINI1985

AUSTINMINI1985

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:08 AM

Hi
Cheers bat
I will get a look at bores today and post few pictures .
As for the problem the engine was rebuild last year and was over fueling way to much was never set up correctly.
As for the head i seen a wheeler dealers once and edd china flipped a head upside down and put petrol over the valves to see how quickly it disappears. Ive done this and it vanishes in half hour

#5 harrythehat

harrythehat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:21 AM

even though you fitted a new pump check the diaphragm

had a mexico years ago leaking fuel into oil smoking like a chimney, was diaphragm leaking. pump still worked fine but allowed fuel to pass into oil

that's the only place it can get into oil. apart from carb if it was carb it would have to be way to rich and probably too much for the plugs to cope with they would get saturated before getting into oil.

Tuppence worth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users