Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 21 October 2018 - 07:57 PM

@MIGLIACARS.........."tell us about the box"

Ooops.....

This started about 5 years ago with finding a BMW  K1300 engine with a damaged gearbox casing in a garage clear out.

The engine was mated to an Imp transaxle, which left me falling over a gear box that was somehow too good to throw out.

Missing out on an ebay 5 speed Jack Knight, I got out the drawing board and started taking measurements.  The cluster would fit in a Mini box, but because I had to incorporate a solenoid activated syncromesh between it and my reverse cluster, it is just 6MM too long, but that is without bearings on the fly wheel end of the shafts.

Chopping the casings in half enabled a friendly local welder to get at unwanted holes and insert two 20MM plates before machining away all of the web below the drop gear's bearing and most of the center web

I was over ambitious.  Squeezing in six gears has compromised bearings, taken a lot of welding and machining to fit the half round oil seal under the front main bearing and we had to have 3 attempts at cutting the output shaft, but that was nothing compared to making the selectors.

The Drum had to be moved round the cluster by 140 degrees, to where the oil pick up filter resides, and the selectors have to be very slender to pass the lay-shaft.

Even with a dummy flywheel end which enabled me to get a bit better view of things, I had to remove it and the cluster, many times to cut and braze and re-braze the selectors.

It works, but I wouldn'd do another one.  Apart from saying that "I did it", it hasn't really been worth all the effort.

Having said that, if I were younger and from what I have learned, I recon that I could get the 5 speed cluster from a K1100 into a Mini box, but without a dummy end, I don't know how I'd ever make the selectors.

#17 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:08 AM

have u any photos or videos

#18 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:07 PM

have u any photos or videos

No.  Never gave it a thought, sorry.

Come to think about it, I can't remember ever photographing any of the things I've done.

The wife wouldn't have liked taking holiday snaps with a greasy camera.

#19 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:23 AM

Can you take a video of it working going up and down the box!!!

#20 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:14 AM

Here is a picture of a BMW K1300 6 speed gear cluster.

s-l1600.jpg

The long shaft is the lay shaft.  It cost £200-00 to have it tempered, the splines re cut and threaded.

Because the crank would have hit the drum, I had to move it to the pile of setscrews, and as you can see, the selectors work from both side of the drum.

A slab of 20MM ally was welded in the gearbox and the end of the replacement output shaft was cut off shorter and ran in one of  two narrow 10MM bearings, the other bearing was for the first motion shaft.

The transfer from the first motion shaft to the lay shaft was not inside the gearbox, but outside the web, and the transfer casing and gearbox casing, had to be modified to make room for the lay shaft pinion.

An old guy in South Wales cut the gears for me, and the new wider diff pinion and the reverse gear cluster that fits in the speedo take-off end.  The reverse cluster is a bit delicate, so it was isolated with two Mini syncro rings, so that it doesn't rotate, except when engaged.

As I mentioned, it works, but a lot of effort just to be able to say "I did it".

#21 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:15 AM

No, it is under an engine, in a car., and I haven't got a video camera.

Edited by DeadSquare, 23 October 2018 - 07:16 AM.

#22 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:49 AM

Here is an animation

11 Mar 2015 - Uploaded by durgesh kashyap

Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available. Click he

#23 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 04:31 PM

how reliable has it been

#24 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 04:40 PM

can you get a video of it going down the road with an iphone or something i need to see this thing

or sell it me

#25 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 23 October 2018 - 05:56 PM

I'll post some more photo later, but my good friend Dave Rosenthal used to do the 6 speed sequential boxes

3rkWVAh.jpg

(I may also come back later and split this thread)

#26 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 09:10 PM

how reliable has it been

Oh, it isn't;  and the sad thing is that before I even started cutting metal, I knew that it probably wouldn't be, but It became a challenge to see how well I could make it work.

It is just not robust enough to be used with verve.

Edited by DeadSquare, 23 October 2018 - 10:18 PM.

#27 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 10:17 PM

can you get a video of it going down the road with an iphone or something i need to see this thing

or sell it me

Woah there!

I have spent, or rather wasted several hundred pounds this summer, stubbornly devoting hours that at my age I could have better spent.

I haven't done what I set out to do, but I am satisfied that what I have done, I did quite well.  It worked;  it Isn't the success that I hoped it would be, but I've put it down to experience.

As far as selling goes, sorry, although I have put it behind me, I have invested too much of "me" in it.

Even if I wanted to, I can't drive the car at the moment because the remote gear change is broken, but if I summon up enough enthusiasm next year, I might look into posting a bit of video.

#28 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 08:06 AM

ok i understand 

did it work well

is the box 1-1 in 6th

at 7000rpm in top what is the mph

what diff ratio do u run

is it on flappy paddles or a stick

#29 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 24 October 2018 - 09:54 AM

There have been other bike box conversions, I think at least one on TMF. Not sure how successful there'd be with an A series very different torque & rpm curves.

Back on the engine mounts - I tend to lever through the bolt holes with a punch to get them aligned. A flange nut is easier to slide in to position with a spanner too, it's a nut 'n bolt combo so no issue going metric. I suppose you could d

#30 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 04:59 PM

ok i understand 

did it work well

is the box 1-1 in 6th

at 7000rpm in top what is the mph

what diff ratio do u run

is it on flappy paddles or a stick

Did it work well?              Obviously, not that well.  1)   The 10MM wide ball-race supporting the output shaft fell apart, but I replaced it with a roller-race which might be better.  2)   It doesn't perform better than a BMC box, justifying all the aggravations.  3)    I should have abandoned it, not been pig headed. 4)    I can't be bothered to try and perfect it.  5)   It would need a Mk2 and I don't know quite how I would improve it.  6)   If I was paid for my hours spent, I could have bid easily twice as much for the Jack Knight box on ebay.

Is the box 1:1?             Almost.  It is 1.015:1   I am not an expert, but I don't think any dog boxes, by their nature, are 1:1.

MPH @ 7,000?             Probably high 70's.   I have replaced the speedo take off with a support bearing, but a 4.63;1 diff is 83.6 MPH @ 7,000RPM.

Diff ratio?              72:15 = 4.8:1   I had long had this LDS knocking around from somebody's 60's hill climb car, and the dream outcome was that the gearbox would go under a blown twin-cam head.

Paddle or stick?              Stick,   I could have paddled it with a couple of solenoids, but getting the leverage correct, from the throw of the solenoid, to work both reverse syncro rings, was a pain, and by that time I was getting fed up.

The engine is a bog standard 998, which was sat on the floor, and doesn't need 6 speeds. 

Never having had a sequential dog box, I don't know what I should expect, but when driven demurely, the box worked;  however, if you are driving demurely, it is sometimes handy to be able to skip a gear.

Let's leave it, that I shoe-horned BMW's gears into BMC's box.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension, engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users