12 replies to this topic

#1 whudaman

whudaman

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:59 PM

Hi all. Only got my first ever mini yesterday.

1992. Mini Cooper(Rover).

Owner refurbed engine etc and I noticed strong fuel smell upon driving it away. Today too. Heavy fuel smell in cabin. 

Opened bonnet today and seen big cavities today all left open , leading fumes in behind the dashboard. ie I can see almost entire engine from the inside of the car as I look through the glove compartment.

Any advice on what can be fitted between dash and engine to block out the fumes please?

Any advice please. As it stands i'm dizzy from driving the car today because of the smell.

I've attached two pics...one looking from under bonnet and other looking from glove compartment.

Thanks in advance guys!  :gimme: Attached File  pic1.jpg   96.98K   10 downloadsAttached File  pic2.jpg   34.75K   6 downloads

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:55 PM

Far too many unblanked holes and there should also be a cover plate for the centre of the bulkhead.

The smell of fuel indicates something amiss with the carb. I'm wondering whether the K&N filter that has been fitted has also meant a different needle has been fitted to the carb??

You say owner rebuilt engine, do you know exactly what has been done?? I would be asking questions.

#3 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:23 PM

Welcome to TMF

With that quality of workmanship anything is possible, but even the engine bay should not smell of fuel

There should also be a blanking plate on the flat bulkhead crossmember with a seal.

The 1/2 inch rubber pipe running through there looks like a fuel pipe ? possible leak ?

Two of the holes should have heater hoses ?...has it got a heater

#4 whudaman

whudaman

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:20 PM

Thanks sonikk44 and Retroman for your replies. Appreciated.

to be honest...sonikk....I don't know exactly what has been done. I'd like to ask the owner those questions yeah.

Retroman...no heater...will ask a mechanic to check for a fuel leak which you say is possible.

Will also have to get those holes filled...bulkhead.

Thanks again.

I wish I knew more about these things!

#5 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:35 PM

I know its about 5 degrees warmer in Essex than the 500 feet up the back of a mountain here...but I would be having a heater

That will fill two holes and helps the engine keep cool by about 5 degrees too

The centre plate is NLA but will be on fleabay

#6 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:30 AM

hey!

Had the same issue when I got my mini back in August. It was. however, on the other end of the car!
Check to see if the pressure relief pipe is plugged into your tank. Its a small black pipe that goes from the top of your tank (inside the boot) down through the floor and lets fumes escape under the car. 

Mine was cracked and broken, so I just replaced it and wala!

#7 BaronVonchesto

BaronVonchesto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:51 AM

Congratulations on your first Mini!

How much do you know about these cars? The things I would do (in this order) to check the fuel smell:

1) Close off all the holes in your firewall. Until you can do it right, at least cut some cardboard to the right shape and tape it on. You don't want to be breathing in those engine bay fumes!

2) Check your fuel inlet hose for signs of a fuel leak. With the engine warm, pop the boonet open and take a look. Wrap some tissue around the inlet hoses and look for signs of the tissue getting wet. Have someone in the car rev the engine up as well, as perhaps its only leaking if the fuel pump is driven faster.

3) next check your carb fuel overflow for signs of fuel spilling. Also check the float needle that it isn't stuck. It should restrict fuel entering the carb once the float bowl has filled up. Is that a HIF38 carb? I'm not too certain as to the mechanism for that carb, but I imagine it's similar to the HS ones.

4) Check your air-fuel mixture. Could be too rich, especially after an engine rebuild.

5)  Do you have any kind of feedback for Crankcase ventilation or are the fumes being let out to the atmosphere? If crankcase gasses aren't being fed back into the carb, that could be another source of fuel smell.

Edited by BaronVonchesto, 23 October 2018 - 07:53 AM.

#8 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 02:24 PM

+1 for luismx123. breather on my petrol tank had perished and filled the car with fumes really badly. had split down its full length, but was still on miraculously. as it's hard to get to back there didn't spot it right away. new piece of pipe and smell instantly went.

#9 whudaman

whudaman

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 05:45 PM

Thanks a mill for all the replies guys!! Much appreciated indeed!

Retroman...i'll get a heater and centre plate sorted.

Baron...I don't know anything about clasic minis sadly...learning fast!

Luis and cooperd...i'll check that pipe out too !

Thanks guys!!...Great forum!!

Much apreciated!! :+))

#10 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 06:21 AM

Thanks a mill for all the replies guys!! Much appreciated indeed!

Retroman...i'll get a heater and centre plate sorted.

Baron...I don't know anything about clasic minis sadly...learning fast!

Luis and cooperd...i'll check that pipe out too !

Thanks guys!!...Great forum!!

Much apreciated!! :+))

We wish you the best of luck! 
Keep us posted :)

#11 whudaman

whudaman

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 06:03 PM

Gents! Thanks so much for ALL your leads! Excellent stuff! I took it all on board..

Diagnosis....fuel pipe from tank had come loose! Petrol drip, drip dripping away into the boott! :+(( Wasn't obvious last few because that fitting is 'around the corner' so I stuck my hand in there and used a torch. I tightened that clip on there and I believe its sorted! 

Next question please...would that fuel have leaked into the car under the back seat??? I Tried to pull the back seat forward to have a look but it doesn't move...am I missing a trick here?

Thanks a MILL for ALL your input guys! You've all solved my problem with no expensive mechanic fees!! Brill !

Much appreciation to you ALL!!  :D

#12 paul748

paul748

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 06:24 PM

Congratulations on your first Mini!

How much do you know about these cars? The things I would do (in this order) to check the fuel smell:

1) Close off all the holes in your firewall. Until you can do it right, at least cut some cardboard to the right shape and tape it on. You don't want to be breathing in those engine bay fumes!

2) Check your fuel inlet hose for signs of a fuel leak. With the engine warm, pop the boonet open and take a look. Wrap some tissue around the inlet hoses and look for signs of the tissue getting wet. Have someone in the car rev the engine up as well, as perhaps its only leaking if the fuel pump is driven faster.

3) next check your carb fuel overflow for signs of fuel spilling. Also check the float needle that it isn't stuck. It should restrict fuel entering the carb once the float bowl has filled up. Is that a HIF38 carb? I'm not too certain as to the mechanism for that carb, but I imagine it's similar to the HS ones.

4) Check your air-fuel mixture. Could be too rich, especially after an engine rebuild.

5)  Do you have any kind of feedback for Crankcase ventilation or are the fumes being let out to the atmosphere? If crankcase gasses aren't being fed back into the carb, that could be another source of fuel smell.

Just to add another to this list......took me a while to find out it was the fuel pump leaking (gasket between top and bottom half of pump).

It was not enough to cause a drip but enough to cause a smell.

#13 maccers

maccers

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 25 October 2018 - 09:46 AM

I had a huge fuel leak problem from the tank when running normal vented tank, and yes it will run into the rear seat under the rear bulkhead. From the inside of the car, the back of the rear seat is hooked over a lip that connects the metal parcel shelf. The base of the rear seat should be fixed with straps that also fix the upright of the seat at the base with self taping screws. The front of the base part of the seat squeezes behind another lip. Might be worth taking them out anyway to see what i’m blethering on about here! The fuel would have evaporated by now. Definitely block those front bulkhead holes will make it quiet if nothing else!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users