31 replies to this topic

#16 toromod

toromod

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:47 PM

A good New Year to all - my Elf restoration is making progress so I was going to send the head away for converting to unleaded - on taking the rocker cover off I note the cylinder head is stamped 12A 1456 3M - is this a very early head? I've been reading up and baffling myself with all the information in David Vizard's book which lists this cylinder head casting as "803 Austin/Morris, 850 Mini, 948 Morris Minor, A35 & A40 Austin, Sprite Mk 1" - is this what should be on my 1968 998 Elf??

#17 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 04 January 2020 - 04:29 PM

Anatomy Of The Mini (Mark Huthert):      12A1456 non-Cooper 848 or 998 Mini

Calver Special Tuning:      12A1456  850, 998 Mini & 948 Sprite          1.0625"/26.99mm Inlet   1.00"/25.4mm Exhaust      24.5cc Chamber

Your Vizard doesn't list it for the 998 Mini? ....my copy doesn't either!!

Edited by Itsaminithing, 04 January 2020 - 04:29 PM.

#18 toromod

toromod

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 10:42 PM

Qc5uLLP.jpg

#19 toromod

toromod

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 10:44 PM

This is my newly constructed mobile Elf working platform, based on a stillage for storing scaffolding. It has caster wheels at each corner, 2 with locking brakes.

0iK6HXd.jpg

Edited by toromod, 25 March 2021 - 10:46 PM.

#20 toromod

toromod

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 10:49 PM

I then used a 2T crane to lift the bodyshell & position the frame underneath

WcDD3Sy.jpg

#21 toromod

toromod

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 10:52 PM

a couple of ratchet straps to secure the Elf in position and the crane removed! The whole frame/Elf can now be manoeuvred in my corner of the workshop/shed, easy to move as well! 

#22 toromod

toromod

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 10:55 PM

Covid stopped any work in the last year since the workshop is over 10 miles away from my home and 2m distancing doesn't allow for 2 people repairing/welding either! However, we have now dropped from full lockdown to Tier 3 (Scotland) so I can access the workshop & get some preparatory work done!  :D

#23 toromod

toromod

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 11:20 PM

[post='']MkfXYzF.jpg[/post]

#24 toromod

toromod

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 11:34 PM

I removed the corroded triple seam below the boot opening with a cutting disc followed by a flap disc to smooth things off, it literally crumbled away but the valance underneath & boot surround above appears to be sound. I now intend to slide a piece of boot floor repair through the gap to cover the tin worm holes in the off-side rear corner followed by 2 angled lengths to recreate the seam to which the bumper attaches; by only removing the central section of the seam, the structure of the car has not been compromised (in my humble opinion) thus removing the need for bracing pieces. It's good to be back at the coal face!  :proud:

#25 toromod

toromod

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 01:34 AM

2023? What happened? In March 2021 I was delighted to be "back at the coalface" - how wrong can you be? Since then I was diagnosed and treated for 2 different cancers, one requiring surgery so needless to say the Elf ended up "on the shelf" On a positive note my treatment has gone well and the "Elf again" story has resumed. I did manage some work on the car in between the various scans etc etc so the welding is almost complete, another positive.

#26 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 30 January 2023 - 11:21 AM

Good to hear you're back up & running. Not easy to cope with Cancer especially during covid (at one stage I was ready to book a one-way flight to a Swiss Clinic!).

#27 eric67

eric67

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 03:22 PM

Sorry to hear of your troubles but hope that both you and your elf continue to improve in 2023

#28 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 30 January 2023 - 05:24 PM

Nice Elf there..

Got a couple things organised onnthe main land if you are keen to meet other mini nutters.

https://www.theminif...-members/page-8

List of Scottish events can be found here, for your perusal....

https://www.theminif...ish-mini-event/

Keep mini'ing and let me know if you need any spares or have any spare or to exchange...

#29 toromod

toromod

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for all the kind support, I find that a couple of hours work "for the good of my Elf" definitely helps with the recovery process - I have also been very fortunate to have excellent professional support throughout my cancer diagnosis and treatment

#30 toromod

toromod

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 09:48 PM

I'm hoping to be back on the road this year and enjoying the Elf again - another little piece of information about this particular Elf - it represented the Elves at the minis 40th anniversary held at Silverstone in 1999. I have a couple of photos of the car on that day, I know it's a long shot but if anyone has any 1999 photos from Silverstone, I would be grateful for any showing the Elf.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users