#1 Hpal

Hpal

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 09:32 AM

Hi All,

I got my horn all working again today, traced all the wires and connected it back up (didn't have a horn when I bought it). The horn tests ok on 12v battery but when connected through the switch it just buzzes a bit, I'm certain the little switch in the end of the stalk is not up to the job asked of it. So before I buy a new one, can I repair it at all or won't it come apart without breaking? Alternatively, can I wire in a relay somehow??

Attached Files

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 26 October 2018 - 10:02 AM

They're glued, but can prise it apart with care and a sharp knife. Before you consider that check the wires, iirc the stalk itself is a conductor with the purple/black attached to it at the column end. You could also try using a relay to reduce the load required through the switch, but may not last that long if the contacts are on their way out anyway.

#3 Hpal

Hpal

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 12:06 PM

Cheers,

I will try to have a look inside without breaking it. I wonder how I can wire a relay in seeing as the push button switches the earth not power?

#4 Hpal

Hpal

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 12:49 PM

Something like this might work but i'm no wiring expert. The purple wire is back on the other side of the wiring harness plug and doesn't connect to anything else so I could use it for the relay

Attached Files

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 October 2018 - 09:37 AM

I meant if the stalk will flow enough current to hold a relay use it to switch the relay to earth and the relay to switch the horn.

Purple/ black from stalk to relay terminal 85 : term 86 to earth. Tap the purple to feed term 30: term 87 purple/black to the horn. 

No guarantee it'll work, or last, if the contacts are arcing already.

#6 Hpal

Hpal

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 12:49 PM

Did the relay mod today, works a treat! Saved me buying a new switch :) Going to put a relay in for the wipers too, then a relay kit for the headlights.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users