15 replies to this topic

#1 harrythehat

harrythehat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 12:12 PM

A few pics of Paul and how he came to me, brought him as a replacement for the range rover whilst it was off the road, made him part of my pension fund.

Being better than money in the bank, now its his turn for some TLC

Did the quarter panel repair as soon as he came to me  didn't want water seepage for a couple of months

Attached Files

#2 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 02:56 PM

ohhh nice. Hows the rot elsewhere? Being an MPI prepare for the worst...

Q

#3 harrythehat

harrythehat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 03:28 PM

Really quite surprisingly good.

Needs full inner and outer cills just started the process of cutting out, got to the stage of this far in the pics and thought HMMMMM (bracing come to mind) think I need some visual help Glad I looked at the Pinned cill thread

All braced and safe. pics in next post

Subframe bolts heelboard ALL came undone. shocked and relived at the same time.

Attached Files

#4 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 05:26 PM

Looking at how that window sill has gone, It could just be from water that's been trapped by the seal and then left to rot. Or has the window dropped just enough to catch/scrape the paint off the sill?

#5 harrythehat

harrythehat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:36 AM

Looking at how that window sill has gone, It could just be from water that's been trapped by the seal and then left to rot. Or has the window dropped just enough to catch/scrape the paint off the sill?

May have had a small defect there from new and over the years it travelled onto the quarter,

Window has not dropped,

On jasper his rear quarter window was fitted from the factory about 8mm to low this caused a wear through on the paint luckily enough just paint wear. 50mm off the corner by the hinges. exactly where it should be if fitted to low. cant wear in the middle unless frame warped

#6 harrythehat

harrythehat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:30 AM

Having read the tutorial

got some spare metal together A bracing we will go,

Got braced up and ready to go.

Attached Files

#7 harrythehat

harrythehat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 04:01 PM

Going back in time, well last week anyway did the door skins.

Ground them of @ 45degree angle round the outer edge till you see a line between the metals with the welds ground at the top the skin virtually pops off.

Bottoms of the doors needed a bit of attention

cut away the rusted section then used it as a template to make the new piece with a bit of an allowance for the fold, bit of fettling later and its a snug fit.

tack welded inside then filled it up turned door upside down and did a seem on the outside. Ground down its hard to see its been done.

used a piece of 50x50mm angle iron clamped this at the same level as the existing folded edge hammered over the fold isn't as sharp but it doesn't matter as long as the edges match up and are level.

came to the re skinning did Jaspers doors with hammer and dolly takes an age, dam noisy and hard to get edges really tight

looked into folding tools, with what I saw on Alices door from one of these tools and the threads on here got me thinking there must be something better came up with this as an idea.

pair of vice grips with long legs and a piece of 15mm angle iron I know its long and could be shortened but does the job really well and its quick.

vice grip crimps on sharp edge of skin not rounded. gets a good tight fit without too much elbow grease.

made this one left handed in error would be even quicker had I done it right handed numbnut.

re skinned not a ripple in sight.

Attached Files

#8 harrythehat

harrythehat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 02:57 PM

Had a bit of life get in the way and slowed progress down but back on firing on all cylinders for maybe 20 hours a week

After cutting and bracing found the subframe could do with coming down so be it subframe came down and off as luck would have it someone had already taken it off a few years ago not that many looking at the shocks brake shoes slave cylinders  were all done at the same time

YIPPEEEE no sheared heelboard bolts just had to replace 5 radius arm holding nuts Wicked

no more said gave it a good clean down rust preventive paint and a thorough dousing of my version of waxoil with ep80/90 to make it a bit runnier

Attached Files

#9 harrythehat

harrythehat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 10:04 AM

forgot to add that replaced rubbers with poly bushes and braided brake lines

#10 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:25 PM

Nice to see one of these getting a little resto, well worth saving.

#11 harrythehat

harrythehat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:04 PM

Thanks for that Minimissions.

Todays episode. ended up getting n/side companion bin out 220 holes later that is 110 1/8 and then 110 7mm to get rest of spot weld out

though the heel board is pretty good its not going to take the work to clean up and re weld so going to replace each side, saves a lot of finicky tidying up.

Who said 10 hours to do a cill ? am not a slow worker reckon its more like 15 each side

Attached Files

#12 Jase

Jase

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:54 PM

Looks good.

#13 harrythehat

harrythehat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:56 AM

todays thought for future cill removers

BRACING UP

being 92kg and 63yrs wrinkly but still very mobile.

Finding it a little difficult getting in and out of car, bracing across the doors could be set at an angle would give a few more inches of access

#14 harrythehat

harrythehat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 03:22 PM

Had a bit of life get in the way for the past couple of weeks add in a bit of recovery time took a couple of weeks to get it out of the system.

Anyway Lifes sort of running on an even keel so got on and did a bit

Rear repair panel in place happy with the fit tacked it into position,

Next got the cill panel fitting nice before tacking need to have a look at the steps got step from mini machine she did warn me the magnum panels need a bit of work, My word there dam horrible, so as its only the cill lip a bit rough decided to cut of the lip and put a piece in that's tacked and HP with it, would not have been with a step YUCK

Attached Files

#15 harrythehat

harrythehat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:53 PM

Today started with a Caramelised doughnut and a cup of tea no tea bags in this house  yuk

had to cut the inner rear quarter fitted that in, then did the outer rear quarter and finished of getting the lip right, those couple of hours were well worth the effort rather than fitting the Magnum steps.

Just about ready to start fitting the cill section after drilling some plug holes that is.

Attached Files

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users