#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,778 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:19 AM

This is a Cine film taken at Meadway Spares in Birmingham in November 1969. It shows Cleeve Herbert Belcher taking his car to be smashed up and scrapped at the breakers yard before Health and Safety legislation......

Edited by mab01uk, 02 November 2018 - 08:19 AM.

#2 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 09:20 AM

An amazing film. We're accused of being a highly wasteful society nowadays, but that was crazy, absolutely nothing was saved for re use, even the petrol! And of course, recycling was not a term most people had heard of.
I suppose Wolseley parts just weren't in demand enough to bother removing them.
I like the way it was still on fire when they put it into the shredder machine.

#3 Mini ManannĂ¡n

Mini ManannĂ¡n

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 29 November 2018 - 05:31 PM

Reminds me of the scrappy I worked on in the late 80s.  Rip the rad and battery out (for the non-ferrous shed) with the grab then tear the engine out and throw it (literally) up on the engine mountain ( I got pretty damn good at throwing an engine 50 yards or so :-))

#4 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 05:53 PM

If that had been the Riley 1.5 then the carbs would have gone.

#5 designermatt

designermatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:15 PM

An amazing film. We're accused of being a highly wasteful society nowadays, but that was crazy, absolutely nothing was saved for re use, even the petrol! And of course, recycling was not a term most people had heard of.
I suppose Wolseley parts just weren't in demand enough to bother removing them.
I like the way it was still on fire when they put it into the shredder machine.

RE: the petrol

It looks like he drains the tank with a pick axe , However did you notice he put a hose to the filler before doing this, so I'm unsure what has happened but I dont think thats petrol draining out for a few reasons.

If theyre draining tanks like that all the time then surely they now it could cause a fire if that pick axe causes a spark against the tank which makes me think it cant be petrol.

He puts a hose to the filler before draining , and this can't be petrol going in because whats the point

And who is rich enough to through petrol away , I dont imagine it has ever been that cheap?disposable

Im really interested if someone knows whats gone on with that , my best guess is hes pumped it full of water to dilute and rinse out any petrol possible in the tank , so that when theyre scrapping that car they dont inadvertently create a fire as it could be quite hazardous 

#6 designermatt

designermatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:16 PM

or hes sucking it out under vacuum and they didn't give a toss about health and safety back then lol 

#7 designermatt

designermatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:19 PM

well ive just seen further and hes just torched the interior by setting it on fire, I dont know whats going on anymore

#8 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:05 AM

well ive just seen further and hes just torched the interior by setting it on fire, I dont know whats going on anymore

It's quicker and easier to set fire to the interior than to strip it out if the shell is going to scrap/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users