5 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmy95

Jimmy95

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:47 PM

So bitten the bullitt after wanting to get a mini for years, and found one on ebay. Not as close as I would’ve hoped as I’ve now got to catch a 4 hour train journey to get it and drive it back down haha but all part of the fun I suppose.

Some questions as I’m a real newbie... looking to refurb, do up the 1985 mini with different engine, and trick the whole mini up ( not boy racer look) but a real, nice trick head turner, with new engine. Not instant but refurb over some time.

What engines would people recommend, I’ve read a bit about r1 engines, civic engines etc but hard to know what’s best for performance, what fits best, reliability, obviously r1 engine won’t have a reverse function, just seeing what people’s thoughts are on a good alrounder... also how does it work to be road legal with log books etc?

Shops for supplying parts?

Mini clubs, I’m based near Tunbridge Wells so would be good to meet and get chatting to other mini enthusiasts..

Looking forward to a any replies.

Thansks

Jimmy

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:57 PM

you would need a full IVA now. have a look in the alternative engines section most have been done.

i would keep the original as it will be easier to put it back on the road. then after some time consider the other engine.

#3 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 02 November 2018 - 11:19 PM

Welcome to TMF

Nick just beat me to it by seconds, but I am a big believer in keeping the A series engine its what the car was designed with and is  difficult to improve on.

They ran a test at Curbrough some years ago...Vtec, Vauxhall red top, another and a 1380 A series....and the A series was the winner

An alternative engine route is a massive massive job, nothing is straight forward and its seriously expensive.

A well built well tuned  A series has a lot of possible routes, many of them seriously impressive.

An 8 port 16v double overhead cam which makes for one hell of a Mini for maybe 1/2 the price of an engine conversion,

and would be a quicker less painful job and more fun.

If you can join a club and get a few test drives it will give you some idea of what to expect

#4 harrythehat

harrythehat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 07:38 AM

Keeping with Par and an original engine.

if your happy with s/hand you can pick up a decent 1380 for around a grand, which will give plenty of fun and a run for the money.

chop it about and it could end up being worth less and a whole lot of effort to put it back to original.

#5 Jimmy95

Jimmy95

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 09:52 AM

Thanks for your replies guys... yes totally agree with you, reading for hours last night about conversions, different engines seems a hell of a lot of work, Chassis adjustments, yeh prob a bit to much work.. and worth less in the end. The idea of a r1, hyabusa, VTEC etc sounds good but in reality it’s expensive and labour intensive.

Where would be best place to look for a series parts, and would it be worth looking at the bigger cc engine to start with as the internals would cope better..

#6 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:00 AM

Welcome to TMF, it's worth spending a fiver and becoming a TMF+ Member for the discounts on the many Mini parts you are likely to need.

I am based in Tunbridge Wells but am not aware of any local clubs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users