Spence1380

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Local Club: Central Minis

Posted 03 November 2018 - 05:42 AM

Hi
How do I remove the old gear stick to replace it with a quick shift?

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 03 November 2018 - 07:37 AM

Most kits come with Instructions, but I think most are similar in that you undo the bayonet holding the original stick in place, remove the stick, fit an adaptor collar, then the new stick.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 03 November 2018 - 12:54 PM

press down and twist. then remove the stick assy.

then put it all back together after a clean and grease and sell the short shift onto someone else.

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 12:57 PM

(assuming you have a rod change)

#5 grizzler73

grizzler73

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:19 PM

He he... Good advice Nick.

press down and twist. then remove the stick assy.

then put it all back together after a clean and grease and sell the short shift onto someone else.

Edited by grizzler73, 03 November 2018 - 02:20 PM.

#6 burchy35

burchy35

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 03:09 PM

I would certainly never fit one again. I had the kad quickshift and it was a real pain in the ass!
There was times that I couldn't even get any gear , which gets hairy when on track. I personally think minis don't need them but don't let me put you off.
Good luck and I hope you have more success than I had.

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 03:40 PM

I would certainly never fit one again. I had the kad quickshift and it was a real pain in the ass!
There was times that I couldn't even get any gear , which gets hairy when on track. I personally think minis don't need them but don't let me put you off.

Interesting and not an uncommon story.

I've only every used the poor mans version from  Mini Spares. I've fitted around 7 or 8 of these now, Rod Shift types. and I gotta say, I love them. The very first time I tried one after fitting my first, it did feel very very close and I wasn't instantly sold on it, but after about 2 shifts through the pattern, I loved it.

I'll add though that I have never fitted one to a worn shifter. These have all been fitted up to fully overhauled gearboxes and shifters, so I gotta wonder if that is where all the issues stem from that people have with these?

The one in my Moke has now done almost 40 000 km, there is some very small play in that now, but still feels sweet as.

I do one small modification to them to make then 'tighter' as well. The extension collar rocks about, so I fit a big O ring and an additional screw at the back to take all that out.

A while back, to improve the feel on the Rod Shift in general (and this is something I've done a few of on otherwise stock shifters) is to do away with the rubber cotton reel mounts for the shifter body and fit a slide mount, it allows the shifter body to move back and forth with the engine, but it can't 'roll' at all. I gotta say, this one modification has completely transformed the feel of the Rod Shift.

#8 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 06:26 PM

Hi,

I've had mine for years, that long I can't remember if it came from spares or sport.

Love it, never a spot of trouble.

Cheers  :proud:

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 03 November 2018 - 06:48 PM

same it cost the driver an engine when he could not get 3rd and ended up getting first. (again KAD)

#10 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 07:06 PM

A while back, to improve the feel on the Rod Shift in general (and this is something I've done a few of on otherwise stock shifters) is to do away with the rubber cotton reel mounts for the shifter body and fit a slide mount, it allows the shifter body to move back and forth with the engine, but it can't 'roll' at all. I gotta say, this one modification has completely transformed the feel of the Rod Shift.

Hi,

Moke, is the slider mount and off the shelf item or something home brew?

I can picture what you mean, just thinking about how best to make one...

#11 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 06:22 AM

Hi,

Moke, is the slider mount and off the shelf item or something home brew?

I can picture what you mean, just thinking about how best to make one...

It's home brew mate.

I like to say I've finally found a good use for Drum Brakes !!

I make them from the CV and Drive Flange Spines, these are perhaps a little on the heavy side for what they are, but very smooth and totally jam free (very important). These permit about 50 mm of engaged travel.

3KldimK.jpg

The style in which this one has been made suits a Moke, the Mini ones are a little different.

I fit some silicon hose over the assemble to keep the dust out.

#12 markking

markking

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:39 AM

Hey moke spider.

I love a thread revival.
I’ve come across this post numerous times while trying to find advice on how to perfect my KAD shifter and wondered if you make these to sell or just for personal use?

I love the idea of having the shifter more solidly mounted and illuminate the side to side movement.
Mark

#13 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:41 AM

Hey moke spider.

I love a thread revival.
I’ve come across this post numerous times while trying to find advice on how to perfect my KAD shifter and wondered if you make these to sell or just for personal use?

I love the idea of having the shifter more solidly mounted and illuminate the side to side movement.
Mark

Hi Mark,

I don't make these to sell I'm afraid. I've done a few for myself and for some close traveling companions.

While I've done this with a splined set up, you could make one from something simpler, Telescoping steel square section tube as an example. You want something that's fairly neat so it doesn't rattle but will allow it to slide with minimum resistance.

After spending some time examining and trying lots of mods (most no good) on the Rod Shift set up, the way the Shifter Housing Body Mounts to the car would have to be the single biggest issue with the feel of it.

#14 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 09 August 2019 - 10:34 AM

Invention necessity is the mother

Cracking idea Spider...I hate those bobbins, over here with all the rain and salt they are a nightmare

And classic recycling mate..Drum CV and flange

Another idea for the list

#15 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:29 AM

Another idea for the list

Cheers for the kind words there Retro.

I've loads and loads of ideas mate, it's just finding the ones that are any good !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users