Photo
- - - - -

Need Help ! What Electronic Ignition System Shoud I Get?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 maxhasamini

maxhasamini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:27 AM

need help! there are 6 different options for an electronic ignition system on mini spares. How would I know which one would be best for my car?

I have a 1982 Austin Mini Mayfair. 998cc stock.

#2 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:35 PM

are you changing from points to electronin then theres this one

http://www.minispare...px|Back to shop

or then theres this

http://www.minispare...px|Back to shop

#3 Steve8274

Steve8274

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:43 PM

I plan on changing mine over winter. Think I am going for the ones by Powerspark. Have read other people have fitted them and all well. Bit cheaper than minispares links above too.
https://simonbbc.com...9d-distributor/

#4 mikal

mikal

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 05:41 AM

Don't get the Accuspark stealth blackbox system. It works well but they never released a Windows 10 software upgrade. My old XP laptop died so I'm now effectively "locked out". Still trying to find and old XP lappy...

#5 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:02 AM

Try an XP Virtual Machine.

https://www.makeuseo...m-microsoft-si/

Edited by Wiggy, 05 November 2018 - 11:03 AM.

#6 Big Sam

Big Sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 05:20 PM

Don't get the Accuspark stealth blackbox system. It works well but they never released a Windows 10 software upgrade. My old XP laptop died so I'm now effectively "locked out". Still trying to find and old XP lappy...

Or run in compatibility mode. There isnt much that doesnt work. I play only cames from the 90s in Win 95/98 mode.

#7 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 06 November 2018 - 11:11 PM

My friend got a Blackbox unit from CB Performance in the US. Same idea as the Accuspark unit, but it has mapping for vacuum/boost, you can live tune while the engine is running and it works with later Windows. You still need the electronic ignition module in the distributor though and lock out the advance weights. 

I've got a Vista laptop which is handy for the couple of people in my area with the Accuspark - bit far away from you though!

#8 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:02 PM

I had a total ignition failure a couple of days ago after about 10 years of daily driving with Powerspark electronic ignition.

As usual it was on road without street lights so I replaced the distributor with a spare points one I always carry in the boot.

Unfortunately i wasn`t clever enough to have left a torch in the boot so I used the torch function on my mobile that lasted a couple of minutes before the battery went flat so most of it was done in darkness with the occasional firework giving a glimmer of light.

Its my first breakdown in 14 years of daily abuse and I will be fitting another powerspark kit as well as remembering to carry a torch.

Due to wear in the dizzy my points gap goes from .008" - .021 but the cheapo electronic module is unaffected by the shaft wear. They are about 30 pounds now and the old one was 13 pounds  so 10 years use isn`t too bad so I don`t see the point in spending big bucks on other kits.

It does hammer it home that there are no warning signs with electronic ignition, it just stops dead but a dodgy points and condenser gives you a bit of a warning so you can limp to suitable parking spot and 9 times out of 10 once a condenser has cooled off it will get you going again and maybe get you home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users