24 replies to this topic

#1 dyl003

dyl003

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 12:01 PM

I have a 1995 mini sprite that is using the original headlight bulbs which are pretty poor.

Is there a good upgrade to the headlights with better bulbs that will improve night time driving? I don’t really want to fit new headlights, just fit better bulbs if possible.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 November 2018 - 12:24 PM

first thing to do is check the wiring. check that you are getting the same voltage at the connection to the lamp and you are getting across the battery. if it is less you may want to renew or replace part of the loom. or bypass it with some relays and new wiring.

#3 Readers14

Readers14

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 12:29 PM

Wired by Wilson can supply upgraded looms

https://www.wiredbyw...roducts-prices/

#4 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,916 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:01 PM

What bulbs have you got? The large round bulb or sealed beams ? You might be better off converting to at least H4 bulbs

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:03 PM

You can get a 100/80 watt halogen bulb from Demon Tweeks. You will need to up-grade the wiring and, ideally, fit relays for dip & main beam. It makes the lights well up to modern driving, but make sure the alternator can handle the additional drain if you are also using spot or driving auxiliary lights.

Edited to add that if you have the horrible 'electric candle' sealed beam units you will need to fit new light units for halogen bulbs. I was assuming that you already had halogen H4 bulbs fitted. The best headlights are the Cibie ones or the Hella H4 units. A good low cost alternative are Autopal as they look fairly original.

Edited by Cooperman, 06 November 2018 - 01:06 PM.

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,900 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:28 PM

You can fit brighter bulbs and it may help (I have 100 / 160 in mine), but if the Headlamp assembly and in particular, the reflector and inside of the glass isn't up to scratch, then brighter bulbs will make little difference.

#7 RooBoonix

RooBoonix

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:57 PM

You can fit brighter bulbs and it may help (I have 100 / 160 in mine), but if the Headlamp assembly and in particular, the reflector and inside of the glass isn't up to scratch, then brighter bulbs will make little difference.

Which headlight assemblies do you use? I've got Wipac Freeforms to go into my car when I build it up. You reckon they are up to scratch for brighter bulbs?

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,900 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:39 PM

Which headlight assemblies do you use? I've got Wipac Freeforms to go into my car when I build it up. You reckon they are up to scratch for brighter bulbs?

Hi mate,

To be honest, I couldn't say other than they are made in Taiwan!   I get them from my local Parts Supplier, while they are inexpensive, they do work much better than the Hellas that I had.

I can't say if yours would be up to scratch, you can only try them.

#9 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,408 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 07 November 2018 - 12:52 AM

There are regulations about bulb ratings to consider. Standard 60/55watt H4's should be perfectly adequate, it that's what you have and they're not, as above look for faults.

Does it have dim/dip, it's about the right age I think.

#10 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:38 PM

Buy yourself some Cibie (don't skimp on cheap) lenses and some decent H4 bulbs (Osram or Phillips). It'll make all the difference.

#11 dancer1874

dancer1874

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:45 PM

Hi guys

Just bought myself a 1997 mini cooper. The headlights are not that bright, however the full beam seems to be okay- not great though.

I see some people above recommending changing the bulbs, and some recommend changing wiring or units etc. 

Can anyone recommend what worked for them? I believe its the standard unit and bulbs i have installed. 

I am also looking to upgrade my rear lights. Can anyone recommend on make and model of lights to go for? 

Reason for upgrade is the current ones are not very good in the winter- not bright enough

Many thanks

Sean 

#12 dangerousdowning

dangerousdowning

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:57 PM

I was just searching on this subject as my current solution is to avoid driving at night....I my Chinese bicycle light is brighter than the mini's headlights.

Are there any LED conversion kits out there, that people have used?   

#13 Saint George

Saint George

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:30 PM

65W halogen bulbs wired thru 2 relays (1 for dipped, 1 for main beam) and you’ll find they are a big improvement

#14 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:59 PM

I was just searching on this subject as my current solution is to avoid driving at night....I my Chinese bicycle light is brighter than the mini's headlights.

Minispares now sell an "E" maked LED headlight. No picture yet on the website but I think its the new Wipac ones. Be interested to hear from anyone who has tried them.

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

#15 dangerousdowning

dangerousdowning

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 06:56 AM

Minispares now sell an "E" maked LED headlight. No picture yet on the website but I think its the new Wipac ones. Be interested to hear from anyone who has tried them.

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

That is a crazy price!

just came across this guy who brought some H4 LED bulbs from aliexpress -

and came across some on amazon - https://www.amazon.c...BTYXEXRW1E&th=1

Edited by dangerousdowning, 17 November 2018 - 07:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users