#1 rkde

rkde

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:53 PM

Hi.

I have recently collected a paul smith to add to my collection though in the past the mirrors have been removed and some horrible chrome mirrors have been added. 

I am in the process of buying all the parts to return it back to how it would have been but while I can get a OS mirror painted I can't find a NS painted so I will need to get one and paint it.

My question is does the mirror separate into sections for painting? Am I best to buy a used mirror as in a genuine and pull it to pieces or are the replacements just as good?

Thank you 

#2 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 06:36 PM

I took mine apart for painting about 16 years ago, I seem to remember they are glued together, but can be dismantled with care but not without slight damage...
Might be better to mask them off for painting or maybe try on a spare one first.

Ben

#3 rkde

rkde

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 08:28 PM

Thank you. I'll have a look when I get them. I'm hoping they are just clipped but if not I guess I'll mask them

#4 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 08:47 PM

They're glued unfortunately, Minisport had some new old stock ones on their site back along. I rubbed mine back to the black plastic, masked them up and used halfords plastic primer on them and painted them in cellulose. It depends what paint you're using on top but my paint cracked after a while due to the halfords primer.

#5 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:08 PM

I have some NOS Rover mirrors in random colours

#6 rkde

rkde

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 08:16 PM

Thanks, I ended up splitting them and I do confirm that they were glued, well not very well but now they are in pieces

I will now get them ready and painted.

I'll paint with 2k high build primer, base and a good 2k clear as that is how I would normally paint

I went with minispares mirrors and I'll have to sand out their logo.
Minispares did have a single Paul Smith blue but as I'll have to buy and paint one it's just as much to paint both.

Edited by rkde, 11 November 2018 - 08:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users