Photo
- - - - -

Mini Magazine.... Feel Like I've Been Mugged!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 10 November 2018 - 10:20 PM

While I was out today I picked up a copy of Mini Mag (I sent a couple of photos via facebook and was hoping they might put them in).I nearly fell over when the cashier said £5.99. Never mind, there's a calendar, wait a minute only 1 mini in it, and another little booklet that's gone straight in the recycle bin

So I've paid extra for something that's gone straight in the bin, and then there was no photo in it haha. Balls!

#2 will_

will_

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 07:55 AM

My wife did comment only last weekend that no wonder people don’t really buy magazines anymore due to the price.
There was a time I’d buy loads monthly - now it’s a rare treat !!

#3 Haygate

Haygate

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 08:15 AM

Not bad when you get a Black Friday subscription.

Edited by Haygate, 11 November 2018 - 08:16 AM.

#4 vx220

vx220

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 09:02 AM

At one point I was buying both mini mags, FOUR Ford mags (CF, RF, PF, FF) as well as PPC, Retro Rides and occasional VW and Japanese ones. Every. Single. Month.
A good £50+ every month, for many years, which although at the time gave a lot of reading pleasure, could have been put to a better use buying me a nicer car instead of looking at other people's!

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 11 November 2018 - 09:15 AM

MiniWorld or Mini Magazine Christmas Subscription Offer @ £34.99 for 12 Issues UK

Click on the link below, the Mini magazine cover you require and go to Xmas subscription offers:-
https://shop.kelsey....tion/xmas218#ca

See my earlier post in October:-

http://www.theminifo...ription-offers/

Edited by mab01uk, 11 November 2018 - 09:19 AM.

#6 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

• Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 09:36 AM

My moan is they put the price up when they put stuff in that I didn't want. I like mini mag but never got round to renewing my subscription, I tend to get my 'mini fix' on here now

#7 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

• Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 09:41 AM

MiniWorld or Mini Magazine Christmas Subscription Offer @ £34.99 for 12 Issues UK
Click on the link below, the Mini magazine cover you require and go to Xmas subscription offers:-
https://shop.kelsey....tion/xmas218#ca

See my earlier post in October:-
http://www.theminifo...ription-offers/

I think I might treat myself for Christmas :-)

#8 vyruskiller

vyruskiller

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 10:45 AM

Have you tried Readly? It's an app that charges 7.99 oer month but there are many magazines on there to read which keeps my wife happy as well as Mini World and other classic car mags

Just a thought

#9 grck1

grck1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 05:33 PM

What I find annoying is the fact that it has reduced in size and by that I don't mean the number of pages. The overall size in height and width has been reduced, not immediately noticed until you have a full size mag to compare against

And they still charge the same as for bigger mags

#10 toppers3933

toppers3933

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 05:52 PM

...they sell less so they need to bump the price which means they sell less... Ad infinitum.
Video killed the radio star and all that.

#11 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

• Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 07:40 PM

They bump the price up by putting things in the bag then charging you extra for it. Last month's, with no crap was £4.99, this month with unwanted crap £5.99. Kinda puts me off buying it in the future

#12 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,802 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 11 November 2018 - 08:10 PM

...they sell less so they need to bump the price which means they sell less... Ad infinitum.

Mind you in larger branches of WH Smiths there must be a magazine on sale for practically any hobby or interest you can possibly think of.....and sometimes, as in the world of Minis, two or three competing titles on the same subject, so I don't think the online threat to books or magazines has actually happened. Many including me still prefer to browse a printed magazine or read a proper book, despite tablets and Kindles, etc I heard it reported recently that book sales had actually increased in recent years.

#13 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,641 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 08:19 PM

I stopped when Jeff Ruggles left.. used to love reading it, and was a childhood goal getting my Mini featured, which after 5 years of work I got the 7 page feature. The magazines, and most of the shows, arent just what they were 10 years ago. 

#14 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

• Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 10:07 PM

I stopped when Jeff Ruggles left.. used to love reading it, and was a childhood goal getting my Mini featured, which after 5 years of work I got the 7 page feature. The magazines, and most of the shows, arent just what they were 10 years ago.

Which car was that Sam? I must have missed yours, I seem to remember Marc's car being in it, I'll be too embarrassed to park mine next to yours when it's finished haha

#15 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

• Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 10:08 PM

Mind you in larger branches of WH Smiths there must be a magazine on sale for practically any hobby or interest you can possibly think of.....and sometimes, as in the world of Minis, two or three competing titles on the same subject, so I don't think the online threat to books or magazines has actually happened. Many including me still prefer to browse a printed magazine or read a proper book, despite tablets and Kindles, etc I heard it reported recently that book sales had actually increased in recent years.
I saw one called chicken keepers magazine the other day haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users