#1 Marc_mcq

Marc_mcq

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:43 PM

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice... Parked my mini up in the garage after it was running sweet as a nut with good oil pressure and then maybe a week later, started it up and had ZERO oil pressure.  >_<

I have both a mechanical oil pressure gauge showing 0PSI at idle and the oil pressure warning light which does not go out. 

I've done a bit of reading and some suggested that it may be the oil pressure control valve stuck shut, so I ordered a replacement and fitted that today to no avail. 

Any further suggestions of what the problem might be?

Cheers,

Marc. 

Edited by Marc_mcq, 14 November 2018 - 06:47 PM.

#2 russo

russo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Nelson Inc.

Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:58 PM

I have struck this problem before. For some reason the oil pump drains back and wont pick up the oil. If you remove the oil pressure light sender unit and fit a piece of plastic tubing in the hole and with an oil can force oil back into the pump. It also helps if while you are doing this you turn the engine over in an anti-clockwise direction to try and wind the oil back into the dry pump. (you will need to remove the plugs to do this) Or better still if you can some how force oil pressure back into the oil gallery via the oil pressure switch.

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,923 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 14 November 2018 - 07:03 PM

It does sound like the pump maybe worn.

Priming it again as russo has suggested would get you up and going again, but you'd be better off priming it via the Banjo Bolt, the one just above the Oil Pressure Relief Valve.

Perhaps a new Oil Pump might be on the cards.

#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 14 November 2018 - 07:49 PM

DO NOT run the engine any more.

Back prime it as advised above then remove the plugs and spin the engine over. Jump it from another battery if you can to allow it to spin over for longer.

If you still cannot get pressure it is 'engine out time' I'm afraid.

It sounds like an oil pump problem, but risking running it with no pressure can easily ruin the bearings.

Let us know how you get on.

#5 Marc_mcq

Marc_mcq

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 08:08 PM

I have struck this problem before. For some reason the oil pump drains back and wont pick up the oil. If you remove the oil pressure light sender unit and fit a piece of plastic tubing in the hole and with an oil can force oil back into the pump. It also helps if while you are doing this you turn the engine over in an anti-clockwise direction to try and wind the oil back into the dry pump. (you will need to remove the plugs to do this) Or better still if you can some how force oil pressure back into the oil gallery via the oil pressure switch.

It does sound like the pump maybe worn.

Priming it again as russo has suggested would get you up and going again, but you'd be better off priming it via the Banjo Bolt, the one just above the Oil Pressure Relief Valve.

Perhaps a new Oil Pump might be on the cards.

DO NOT run the engine any more.

Back prime it as advised above then remove the plugs and spin the engine over. Jump it from another battery if you can to allow it to spin over for longer.

If you still cannot get pressure it is 'engine out time' I'm afraid.

It sounds like an oil pump problem, but risking running it with no pressure can easily ruin the bearings.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks so much for the replies!

So, if i remove the banjo bolt and pour some oil down a pipe, remove the plugs and turn the engine over with the key, this may be enough to prime the pump and get me back on the road? 

Sorry if I'm asking simple questions, I may be coming across as a total novice... This is because I am! I know my way around a tool kit, but definitely not an engine! 

Thanks,

Marc. 

#6 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 08:27 PM

pretty much - don't forget to refit the banjo bolt though after priming the pump.

as suggested above, if you turn the engine over backwards as you introduce the oil it should prime the oil pump more effectively - with the plugs out it you should be able to use the radiator fan to turn the engine

#7 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 14 November 2018 - 08:37 PM

the oil pressure valve is a relief valve, if it was stuck shut you would see loads of pressure. if it was stuck open then you would see no pressure.  before back priming pull the valve and check and clean. you can also back fill from there if you have a suitable can to pump some oil in .

#8 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 08:40 PM

Don't squirt the oil into the pipe to the oil filter, squirt it into the hole in the engine block that the banjo bolt came out of. Put the car into 4th gear and push it backwards a foot or so, the oil you squirted into the block should get drawn into the pump. Repeat process a few times, refit banjo pipe and copper washers, remove plugs and crank - make sure its not still in gear. Pump should be primed and you should get oil pressure on the gauge.
Sounds like you're pumps worn out though.

#9 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 09:07 PM

agree with all the above +

what state was the oil in & when was the filter last changed

you can change an oil pump with block & gearbox in place - but it is tight

also look at the relief valve seat & check plunger seat

hope you solve the problem

#10 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:29 PM

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice... Parked my mini up in the garage after it was running sweet as a nut with good oil pressure and then maybe a week later, started it up and had ZERO oil pressure.  >_<

I have both a mechanical oil pressure gauge showing 0PSI at idle and the oil pressure warning light which does not go out. 

I've done a bit of reading and some suggested that it may be the oil pressure control valve stuck shut, so I ordered a replacement and fitted that today to no avail. 

Any further suggestions of what the problem might be?

Cheers,

Marc. 

You mention "Good oil pressure" , what was it in lbs-per-squinch?

#11 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:42 PM

Although unlikely, it could be failure of the oil pump drive. I have never sen this in a spade drive pump, but I was told that if a 998 pump is fitted to a 1275, the engagement of the spade into the slot is very small and the pump spindle could fail.

With early engines with a pin-drive oil pump it was not unheard of for the pin to shear if the engine was started in extremely cold weather with thick oil.

I once thought I had the latter failure in a 970 'S', but after taking the engine out it turned out that the pump was draining down due to the manufacturing tolerances being on the limit. A new pump cured that.

#12 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:08 AM

Also got to ask what grade of oil is being used ?

If its some watery modern synthetic its no good in a Mini for several reasons

#13 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 12:58 PM

When was the oil last changed and what grade? The oil pump could also be loose, or the gasket between the oil pump and the block has burst. Also the oil inlet pipe in the gearbox could be loose.

Hopefully you don't have sand and grit inside the engine like some other poor bloke on this forum a few weeks ago.

#14 Marc_mcq

Marc_mcq

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 02:47 PM

Thanks for all of the replies... had a bit of a play today and done as said. Pulled the plugs out, removed the banjo bolt, put some oil in through that port and turned the engine over anti-clockwise by spinning the fan. Re-assembled the lot, started her up and up the needle went to 50psi at cold idle.

Looking at the old oil pressure control valve, the spring has been cut. When I fitted the new one, even with the adjuster wound all the way out, I was getting way over 100PSI. Needless to say, I’ve refitted the old one and now it’s at about 50PSI on cold idle with room for adjustment either way. Ideally, what should this run at? (1275 a+)

Again, thanks for all the replies. I’d have been lost without all your help!

#15 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 15 November 2018 - 02:53 PM

Oh dear, I see that I posted 5 minutes too late !

Get back to the O.P.

He had "good oil pressure" (what ever he considered to be good).

He parked the car for 7 days.

He now has no oil pressure.

It is very unlikely that the pump is so worn that it won't suck oil if it showed "good oil pressure" a week ago.

"       "         "          "     "       "     "  " loose    "        "        "      "  "  "      "           "      "        "               "      "

"       "         "             to be the grade of oil                                 "        "            "     "         "               "     "

"       "         "         "   "    " pressure relief valve stuck open        "        "           "       "         "              "     "

"       "         "         "   the oil drained back into the sump              "       "            "      "        "               "     "

"        "        "          "  a gasket would burst on the suction side of the oil pump.

This probably points to a broken cam to pump drive.

Loosen the banjo and remove the other end from the oil filter.

Point the pipe upwards and re tighten the banjo.

Extend the pipe with a piece of clear plastic pipe.

Keep filling with oil until the level does not drop.

Remove the spark plugs, rotate the engine in reverse and observe the oil level (rotate the fan, push the car in gear / jack it and rotate a wheel)

If the oil level drops, the cam is engaging the oil pump.

Edited by DeadSquare, 15 November 2018 - 02:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users