17 replies to this topic

#1 Adam Johnson

Adam Johnson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 10:19 PM

Hi all, just bought my first mini.1275HE (SA. Import)

Looking forward to abusing your collective wealth of knowledge. Thanks in advance.

#2 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:37 AM

Welcome to TMF, post some piccies up of your mini

YetI

#3 Adam Johnson

Adam Johnson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 08:24 AM

I will attach some pictures once I have worked out how to shrink the file size on my iPad...

#4 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 18 November 2018 - 08:46 AM

Get a photo bucket or imgur account and then you can post them that way

YetI

#5 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 18 November 2018 - 12:29 PM

Hi Adam,

And welcome to the forum! I’m just outside Southampton on the edge of the New Forest.
I’d be happy to help with any questions or issues you may come across.

Cheers, Steve.

#6 Adam Johnson

Adam Johnson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:45 PM

Hi Steve, most helpful! Where are you based? I am Dibden Purlieu and work in Ower, Romsey.

#7 Adam Johnson

Adam Johnson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:51 PM

I may have gone from one extreme to another and these may be too small lol.

Attached Files

#8 poohbah

poohbah

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 08:22 PM

Hi Adam,

Welcome (from a relative newcomer).  

Cheers,

Poohbah.

#9 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 02:27 PM

Welcome :) I think it might be a 1275 E given that it has the early E steering wheel (1980 cars only). (But it could be an HLE shell, as the only way to tell would be to check the tag on the cross member under the passenger seat or rear parcel shelf). 

Looks like a bit of a mixed bag of parts on the car. The shell is definitely an E shell, as the 1098 clubman and GTS had the shroud to help with cooling next to the radiator, and the 1275 Es did not. The clocks are from a GTS, the stripe is a GTS stripe, and the wheels are from a 12" GTS (not sure if there are discs under there). The motor looks to have rivetted tags that were removed (but it isn't clear from the pics). It also doesn't seem to have a 11 stud head, so it is probably not a GTS motor, although you can check this by looking for the last four digits on the block near the distributor. The 1275 E should have a stamped tag with a 12HEH number. The location of the washer bottle is from a later E (1981-1984). 

It looks like a neat car. Congrats on the purchase :) 

#10 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:02 PM

Hi Steve, most helpful! Where are you based? I am Dibden Purlieu and work in Ower, Romsey.

Hi Adam, I’m in Marchwood and work in Millbrook!!

Cheers, Steve.

#11 Adam Johnson

Adam Johnson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:39 PM

The engine is 12heh. It appears to be an E but dressed up like a GTS. It does have discs though but I suspect a previous owner fitted them as I thought it would have had drums as standard. It was first registered in 1979 so sounds like it could be an E rather HLE but it wears an HLE badge on the back. It’s at the garage at the moment awaiting some bits for its MOT as it’s imported (rear fog light for example). I will take a look at the tag when it’s back with me.

It seems pretty sound irrespective of the GTS fancy dress. I plan to do some of the RAC rallies in it in due course. No idea of whether I paid a fair price or not for it; time will tell.

Welcome :) I think it might be a 1275 E given that it has the early E steering wheel (1980 cars only). (But it could be an HLE shell, as the only way to tell would be to check the tag on the cross member under the passenger seat or rear parcel shelf). 

Looks like a bit of a mixed bag of parts on the car. The shell is definitely an E shell, as the 1098 clubman and GTS had the shroud to help with cooling next to the radiator, and the 1275 Es did not. The clocks are from a GTS, the stripe is a GTS stripe, and the wheels are from a 12" GTS (not sure if there are discs under there). The motor looks to have rivetted tags that were removed (but it isn't clear from the pics). It also doesn't seem to have a 11 stud head, so it is probably not a GTS motor, although you can check this by looking for the last four digits on the block near the distributor. The 1275 E should have a stamped tag with a 12HEH number. The location of the washer bottle is from a later E (1981-1984). 

It looks like a neat car. Congrats on the purchase :)

#12 Adam Johnson

Adam Johnson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:40 PM

Cheers, Steve.

It’s a very small world! I suspect I will abusing your knowledge in due course.

#13 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 10:41 PM

Cheers, Steve.

It’s a very small world! I suspect I will abusing your knowledge in due course.

Am always ready to help out if I can!

#14 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:37 AM

The engine is 12heh. It appears to be an E but dressed up like a GTS. It does have discs though but I suspect a previous owner fitted them as I thought it would have had drums as standard. It was first registered in 1979 so sounds like it could be an E rather HLE but it wears an HLE badge on the back. It’s at the garage at the moment awaiting some bits for its MOT as it’s imported (rear fog light for example). I will take a look at the tag when it’s back with me.

It seems pretty sound irrespective of the GTS fancy dress. I plan to do some of the RAC rallies in it in due course. No idea of whether I paid a fair price or not for it; time will tell.

It's good to hear that they fitted discs. It's a nice change from the stock drums that would have come from the factory. I think quite a few people try to make their Minis "GTS spec" by fitting stripes, discs and triple clocks. 

I think like many Minis, it has been modified and personalised over time. 

Good luck with the MOT, hopefully, it passes and you'll be able to take it on some proper drives when rallying. The one good thing about a lot of South African Minis (especially those from inland) is the reduced amount of rust. 

#15 SuperDeLuxeNick

SuperDeLuxeNick

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis Portsmouth

Posted 21 November 2018 - 12:20 PM

Looks lovely!

Also nearby, Winchester, but family in romsey and new forest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users