6 replies to this topic

#1 JK95

JK95

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 01:14 PM

Hey guys! My 998 started easily when turned around(eighter by key or rolling start when the ignition key didnt work), but now it wount. Drove it one day for a little shakedown before norwegian MOT and a small joyrun afterwards when it came back with few faults for me to fix. This was back in late august. Started it once since in late september, before it was put aside due to unforeseen expenses.

Now I`m slowly getting back to fixing it for a new MOT and then semi-restore for a 5000km retrorally-roadtrip with a group of friends, and it doesnt want to fire up. The starter works fine, but there is no sign of ignition, I guess a lack of fuel. Can this be a bad fuel pump? There is around zero degrees in my area these days, can this be a problem?

#2 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 03:17 PM

Hi,

Prossibly the fuel has gone off. It doesn't last long now there's ethanol in it apparently.

Connect the fuel pump to a can of fresh petrol and try that or pour a little in the carb air intake.

Cheers 

#3 designermatt

designermatt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 05:23 PM

You said it yourself no ignition, Mini engines will generally still start up even on shitty old fuel, however always a good idea to completely drain fuel lines and put fresh stuff in to stop it gumming up the carburettor parts.

Now if its not sparking then you will have to check your distributor points, leads , plugs etc... Clean everything up and reset timing and replace any parts that need it and then you should have your spark back. Also might be worth checking compression whilst your there. Also an old battery will not give the best spark so give it a good charge or replace.

#4 JK95

JK95

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:55 PM

Did a quick checkup, it has spark, and it pumps fuel into the carb. This would suggest a carb issue, yes?

#5 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 01 December 2018 - 03:24 PM

Spray some flammable liquid into the carb throat and see if it fires then dies if so it's fuel if not ita something else.

How old is the fuel?

#6 JK95

JK95

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 05:52 PM

Fuel is only a few months old,so should not be a problem.

#7 JK95

JK95

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:29 AM

Turns out it had a gasoline leak between pump and carb, was easily seen when I got someone else to crank the starter so I cpuld observe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users