#16 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:48 AM

Nice to hear that the Rack is OK and you've got a replacement column.

I would suggest - in the strongest terms - that when you fit up your new column, you align the rack to it, this is most likely why it chewed out the column in the first place. It's easy enough to do, on the toe board you'll find 4 nuts, these will be for the 2 U bolts that hold the Rack to the car body, loosen them off but don't undo the all the way. Then fit your column up, the torque setting of the nut here is 8 - 9 ft / lb, then re-tighten the 4 nuts you loosened off on the toe board, when tightening them back up, I'd suggest doing each one 1/2 a turn then move on to the next until you get them all tight. They do need to be fairly firm. The factory quote a figure of 10 - 12 ft / lb for these, however, they are Nylocs (or should be) and while I don't use a Torque wrench on them, I'd say I do them up to around 20 ft / lb. I think you will find the 10 - 12 figure too low and the rack will almost certainly slip.

Edited by Moke Spider, 14 December 2018 - 05:00 PM.
added U bolt Nut Torque figures

#17 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:44 AM

Glad you have it sorted, its not something to be compromising on

A mate of mine once ended up in a river with a similar issue, luckily it was a low speed incident and the river was pretty dry

#18 Spluckrose

Spluckrose

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 02:16 PM

A few pics of the rack, looks OK to me but i'm no expert !

Attached Files

#19 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 05:09 PM

The Splines on the Pinion look perfect, however, while I can't say for certain from your photo, the Rack does appear to be well out of alignment to how the Column will couple up to it. I would suggest you set it right as per my post above.

Just a side note here - what happened to the toeboard just here?  It maybe related to your Column issue. They are normally flat here.

#20 Spluckrose

Spluckrose

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 05:43 PM

No idea had the mini 6 month not driven it yet as having welding work done to the back end, but thanks for all your advice

#21 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 06:41 PM

No idea had the mini 6 month not driven it yet as having welding work done to the back end, but thanks for all your advice

No worries, but looking at that again, I'd have a reasonable guess here that with the toeboard so out of shape there, it would be preventing the rack from aligning with the column.

If you loosen the U Bolts right up and allow the rack to drop back, you might be able to get a pick or slide hammer in there to pull the floor up.

#22 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:44 PM

The floor looks to be pretty well rubbed on the uphill side. Defo needs knocking flat first, by the look of it something has been put through the hole and levered down - probably the column.

#23 Spluckrose

Spluckrose

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:18 AM

Is there any particular way the top Bush needs to go in, is do the cut outs on the bush need to line up with the cut outs on the column?

#24 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:09 AM

Is there any particular way the top Bush needs to go in, is do the cut outs on the bush need to line up with the cut outs on the column?

Yes, but only so the Indicator Switch Assembly fits back on OK and the to the right index.

#25 Spluckrose

Spluckrose

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 02:44 PM

Column refitted all working well. Thanks for all the helpful advice much appreciated

#26 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 16 December 2018 - 10:22 PM

Best of luck with it  check the pinch bolt when you have done a couple of hundred miles

#27 Spluckrose

Spluckrose

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 06:47 AM

That maybe awhile need to get it through an mot first

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users