16 replies to this topic

#1 JK95

JK95

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:20 PM

Hey guys. I`m taking my Mini 1000 on a trip around Europe with a bunch of freinds in other old cars next year, 5000 km`s from Norway down east Europe, by the Alps and the Riviera, and up by the Alps again with a quick stop by the Ring.

My issue is that the inside of my 1000 is almost a bare shell, no sound dampening or carpets what so ever. So for my own sanity I have a job to do, hense asking you guys; what is the best way to go forth on this? My idea is Silent Coat in everything, floor, doors, inside bulkhead, roof, boot, the lot. Not sure on the thickness tho. Followed up by this, http://www.minispare...sic/CK975A.aspx , and maybe some sort of foam padding on top of the Silent Coat, before I put a standard carpet kit in as the finish.

How does this sound to you? Overkill? Too heavy? Not enough? I know it will be 16 days of roadtrip, 12 on the road and probably 30% ish highway for transport, but I dont want to go insane.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:34 PM

silent coat is not sound proofing it is sound absorption and to stop panels resonating you only need small amounts on each panel to make a big difference.

ear plugs is what i would do.

#3 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 06:41 PM

Silent coat will cut down on the rattles and resonance in the panels - it’s sound deadening. As nick says there’s no need to cover the car, just enough to deaden the panel. Overlaying with closed cell foam, or closed cell underlay is a good solution for absorbing sound. It won’t make it quiet by modern standards, but it does make it much nicer - I’ve done this in my blue mini. Other alternative is to get a stereo to help mask some of the noise - or do the above and get a stereo. Or wear ear plugs like nick suggests ?

#4 JK95

JK95

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 07:59 PM

Thanks, Richie! Just read your thread, nice work!

#5 vx220

vx220

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 08:20 AM

Google "sound deadener showdown", they have several projects on show, they may have a mini?

Best thing to really kill road and engine noise is a sandwiches of CCF and MLV instead of normal soundproofing stuff you get under car carpets, but for best results the MLV has to be as close to one piece as possible. Otherwise noise finds the gaps and comes through.

I believe deadening the roof is important on a mini, but as said beforehand, you don't need to cover a panel 100%. Most testing says about 25-30% coverage.

Sorry, MLV is Mass Loaded Vinyl and CCF is Closed Cell Foam. Don't use open cell foam (sponge) as it will hold water and create smelly mould and accelerate your minis rusting process!

Edited by vx220, 26 November 2018 - 08:23 AM.

#6 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 01:27 PM

Hey guys. I`m taking my Mini 1000 on a trip around Europe with a bunch of freinds in other old cars next year, 5000 km`s from Norway down east Europe, by the Alps and the Riviera, and up by the Alps again with a quick stop by the Ring.

My issue is that the inside of my 1000 is almost a bare shell, no sound dampening or carpets what so ever. So for my own sanity I have a job to do, hense asking you guys; what is the best way to go forth on this? My idea is Silent Coat in everything, floor, doors, inside bulkhead, roof, boot, the lot. Not sure on the thickness tho. Followed up by this, http://www.minispare...sic/CK975A.aspx , and maybe some sort of foam padding on top of the Silent Coat, before I put a standard carpet kit in as the finish.

How does this sound to you? Overkill? Too heavy? Not enough? I know it will be 16 days of roadtrip, 12 on the road and probably 30% ish highway for transport, but I dont want to go insane.

Impeccable timing... We are about to launch our carpet kits and it sounds like our deluxe kit will be perfect for your requirements.

Sound Deadening Kit: £70

First up, definitely install a layer of sound deadening direct to the metal (floor, sides, roof etc.) and for this we are introducing a sticky backed closed cell foam kit - so simply peel and stick. As mentioned already, a sound deadening kit will stop panel reverberation.

It is £70 and comes with the two main floor sections (front and back) ready cut, plus 4 additional pieces that can then be used accordingly and applied where necessary (the additional piece can easily trim the roof, rear quarter panels, bulk head and rear seat base).

Carpet Set - Deluxe: £210

This carpet set really is special, we are properly proud of it (I will share more info with you all when we launch them within the next few weeks).

In your instance though, I believe it will be essential due to the amazing sound dampening (noise reduction) qualities.

Our deluxe carpet sets are backed with a layer of 15mm closed cell foam, an modern sound reducing/deadening material. Be assured, you will not find a better road noise reducing carpet set on the market. In addition to this, the layer of 15mm closed cell foam on our carpet sets also works perfectly as underlay - as a result, you will not need to install underlay with our deluxe carpet sets (saving you time and money on unnecessary additional layers).

The accompanying trim pieces for the wheel arches, cross member, side pieces and bulk head are also backed with closed cell foam.

This deluxe kit is a direct rival to the Newton moulded carpet kit and it sits right at the top end of the market. However, not only do we believe that it is better (our accompanying trim pieces for the wheel arches, cross member, bulk head etc. are far superior, plus the sounds deadening qualities), it also works out much cheaper (around a saving of £60) because you do not need to buy an underlay kit.

Plus, our kit can be installed in a fraction of the time as each and every piece is ready to go straight in (no cutting is required) - this to be honest is the biggest advantage of the kit.

I have attached a couple of photos of our demo kit for you (I will hold back on sharing photos of the kit installed for now) and as mentioned above, we are looking to have the range launched this side of Christmas (could even be a possibility of the launch late this week).

Regards,

Andy @ Optimise Automtoive

P.S. Check out our Facebook or Instagram for more sneak peaks before the launch.

Attached Files

Edited by roberts, 26 November 2018 - 01:44 PM.

#7 JK95

JK95

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for the great advice and input vx220 :D

That package looks close to perfect, roberts! Thanks for informing! Just a few questions. The sound deadning kit, is it «just» a closed cell foam, or does it include something like Silent Coat or other butyl based vibration dampening? Also, the additional pieces, how big are they?
The carpet kit seems just about as perfect as can be, so no questions there ^^

#8 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for the great advice and input vx220 :D

That package looks close to perfect, roberts! Thanks for informing! Just a few questions. The sound deadning kit, is it «just» a closed cell foam, or does it include something like Silent Coat or other butyl based vibration dampening? Also, the additional pieces, how big are they?
The carpet kit seems just about as perfect as can be, so no questions there ^^

Yes, the sound deadening kit is simply a sticky backed closed cell foam.

However, depending on what kind of silent coat you are looking at, they will likely also simply be a closed cell foam (again with a sticky back backing) - other sound deadening products are available and some are a tar like substance (often bitumen) with a foil topping (Dynamat Original for example - although that is not a bitumen tar), with these products it is the tar like substance that sticks the sheets directly to the metal.

The tar prevents the panels from vibrating and absorbs sound (as does a rubber style silent coat). The closed cell foam works in exactly the same way as the tar and/or rubber style silent coats, yet it weighs around 2/3's less.

Using the bitumen (or other tar like sheets) is the old fashioned way of doing things really, synthetic material properties have come along way in recent decades and you no longer need to use the traditional methods.

As long as you stick the layer of sound deadening directly to the metal (ensuring it is a snug tight fit over any contours), in principle they all do the same job but in a slightly different way (they stop the panel from vibrating).

They all have pros and cons and the biggest pro/con (in my opinion) is what happens if you ever need to remove the tar/foil faced style of sheets. Anyone who has ever undergone a restoration on a car that is fitted with the tar/foil faced style sheets will never fit them again - removing the stuff is a horrible and extremely dirty job, I massively regret lining my Mini in brown bag back in 2002 (a cheaper version of Dynamat).

Sticky back closed cell foam style product on the other hand are easy to remove (and you wont cover yourself, the garage floor, the drive, the hallway, the living room carpet and the dog in tar).

Our sound deadening kit includes:

1 x front floor panel (main floor)

1 x back floor panel (main floor)

2 x 100cm x 80cm extra pieces

1 x 125cm x 42cm extra piece

1 x 125cm x 25cm extra piece

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Andy @ Optimise Automtoive

#9 JK95

JK95

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 08:05 PM

Helps a lot, thank you so much!

#10 vx220

vx220

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 11:10 PM

CCF doesn't do the same job as CLD (Constrained Layer Damping eg Dynamat/Silent Coat)
It is better than traditional underlay materials (jute)
The carpet set sounds good, but £70 buys an awful lot of sticky-back CCF and CLD!
Read the SDS website, or the various deadening threads on DIYMA.
Also, when you mention "brown bag" I assume you mean "Brown Bread"? As in "dead"? I'm pretty sure that was tar-based,look for butyl-based,comes off easier if you ever have to remove it and more efficient than tar-based.

#11 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:56 AM

Silent coat/dynamat plus this carpet could be a good solution. Will reserve judgement on the deadening kit until it’s released - you can buy an entire box of silent coat for less than £70.

#12 JK95

JK95

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:33 AM

Sounds to me like a thin layer of Silent Coat under the deadning kit with carpets on top could be as good as it gets :)

Might add that I live in Norway, which is kinda heavy on import taxes, meaning that I do NOT get a box of Silent Coat or any other deadning/insulating for that matter... This makes it much more interesting with a complete kit, the package roberts suggests will be close to the prise of all the different layers uncut in Norway :(

#13 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,898 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:47 AM

I would still be tempted with the ear plugs. and maybe get the good shipped to someone on route.

but also note the cost of the goods could well change dramatically depending on what actually happens at the end of March so do what ever you plan to buy before then.

#14 JK95

JK95

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:11 AM

but also note the cost of the goods could well change dramatically depending on what actually happens at the end of March so do what ever you plan to buy before then.

Before? Would there not be a chance that the GBP would fall, making it cheaper for me if the norwegian currency would come out stronger?
Would anyway try to get as much parts as possible before March, so I have time to get it all done and tried before the big trip.

#15 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,898 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:37 AM

Before? Would there not be a chance that the GBP would fall, making it cheaper for me if the norwegian currency would come out stronger?
Would anyway try to get as much parts as possible before March, so I have time to get it all done and tried before the big trip.

nothing to do with the value of the pound more to do with trade tax. and companies being able to do all the correct paper work. and what the cost of the paperwork will add to the cost of the goods.  if there is no Brexit or if there is a deal then it should be OK but Brexit with No deal will be an issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users