• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 29 November 2018 - 06:51 PM

That looks ideal.
The centre point of the tips of the blades are in line with the mid point of the lip on the shroud which is what is needed.

I recall a car years ago where the owner or the engine builder had cropped about 5 mm from the end of each blade. They did this on a rally car so that if the car hit a big bump the rubber radiator mountings did not cause the shroud to hit the fan when the rad and shroud moved relative to the fan/pulley. The car was overheating because of this. The solution was/is to bolt the radiator directly to the mountings with no rubber bushes.

#32 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:57 PM

Nick, car is not currently accessible. However I will check the spacer (if any exists) when I can.

How can I check that the correct top bracket is fitted for this 1990 998

IMG_20170819_150722_zpscbxvkuyk.jpg

what spacer is on it? if just one 4mm it may be better with 2 of them. and does it have the correct top bracket fitted?

#33 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 04 December 2018 - 03:37 PM

it will fit with 2 holes to the thermostat and 2 holes to the rad cowling. and will be made from one piece of metal.

#34 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:07 AM

?? Thanks again. Will keep you posted.

#35 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 09:26 PM

Cooperman/Nicklouse

This is mine (1990 998) I believe it to be as it was intended. Thoughts?

IMG_20170819_150722_zpscbxvkuyk.jpg

Edited by cooperd70, 28 December 2018 - 10:50 AM.

#36 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 10:50 AM

Nick,

Finally got to mine and have taken a look and there is one 4mm spacer. Also the rad top bracket is one piece and two bolt mounts on both sides of the bracket. So another 4mm may do it perhaps?

#37 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 06:28 AM

So mine had the correct top bracket, correct 4mm spacer, but as Nick suggested was just too far out of the lip of the cowling and so decided to fit this to bring cooling up to modern standards:

http://www.minispare.../C-ARA4401.aspx

Original fan is removed when installing this kit and have set the replacement to kick in at around 85c.

It works a treat and I can't believe how efficient it is at pulling air through the rad and into the wheel arch. Just the ticket for being in traffic jams this coming summer with all the mini gatherings going on for the b'day celebrations.

#38 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:32 PM

I'm surprised that the electric fan is designed to operate with the engine driven fan removed. I thought they were designed to be used as an auxiliary fan, mainly operating in traffic conditions.
I'd be surprised if it can reliably push enough air through the rad at speed.

#39 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:01 PM

It doesn’t need to push (or actually pull) air through the rad at speed, just as the standard one doesn’t.
In fact I dare say the cooling would actually be better at speed if there was no fans there at all - they just become an obstruction.

#40 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:52 PM

38 Replies to this topic - where is the lad going - really?

His head will be mashed !!!

#41 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:55 PM

It doesn’t need to push (or actually pull) air through the rad at speed, just as the standard one doesn’t.
In fact I dare say the cooling would actually be better at speed if there was no fans there at all - they just become an obstruction.

I get that with a front mounted rad on the move but not a side mounted one. I wouldn't have thought there's sufficient volume of air flow though it to cool adequately. I'd expect an electric fan to run constantly in that situation and still struggle to cope, they're not really designed to run continually.
Time will tell I guess.

#42 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:07 PM

So mine had the correct top bracket, correct 4mm spacer, but as Nick suggested was just too far out of the lip of the cowling and so decided to fit this to bring cooling up to modern standards:

http://www.minispare.../C-ARA4401.aspx

Original fan is removed when installing this kit and have set the replacement to kick in at around 85c.

It works a treat and I can't believe how efficient it is at pulling air through the rad and into the wheel arch. Just the ticket for being in traffic jams this coming summer with all the mini gatherings going on for the b'day celebrations.

i would still keep the mech fan as there is a lot of work to do as the area in the wing is a high pressure area and it gets it harder to push air out of the wing the faster the car travels.

#43 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:00 PM

There is no way an electric fan can put out the same amount of air as a mechanical fan. Moke spider once quoted howmuch Kw a mechanical fan produces. Its huge.

#44 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:19 AM

well I've run the car up to 85 mph (private road of course) and then slowed to a crawl to simulate a traffic jam, temp guage went up (to halfway between normal and the beginning of the red zone) fan cut in and temp was very shortly back down to normal.

I fitted two additional 4mm fan spacers to the end of the water pump so I could keep the original fan bolts (so they didn't bottom out). So can always refit the mech fan if desired, but the kit instructions are specific to fitting to a mini.

It is very efficient at pulling air from the engine bay through the rad and out under the wing. at standstill just popping you hand under the wheel arch you can really feel the amount of hot air it's shifting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users