#1 Marc_mcq

Marc_mcq

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:39 AM

Guys and girls,

One of my MOT failures was excessive play in the radius arm. I’ve been looking to get a repair kit from minispares but I understand that once the brass bush is fitted, it will require reaming to the correct size for the pin.

Does anybody know of anywhere in the Teesside area where I could get this carried out or (long shot, I know) does anybody in the Teesside area have a home made tool that they would be willing to lend to a monkey like me?!

Thanks!

Marc.

#2 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:44 AM

It might be easier/cheaper to get a rebuilt one on an exchange basis. Once you've factoring in the cost of machining, time, petrol etc.

#3 cian

cian

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Northern Ireland

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:22 AM

I have plenty instock £60 + £40 exchange + £10 postage

Edited by cian, 30 November 2018 - 05:22 AM.

#4 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:21 AM

I am not suggesting that you do this to overcome your MOT failure.

If it is important to get a Mini through the MOT, and you can feel play in the outer bush, hammer a bit of junior hacksaw blade into the gap.

This is more scientific than it sounds, the bit of blade needs to be put length ways in a vice with half showing so that it can be hammered into a shallow V.  This makes it take up more room and as you hammer it in, it will spread out flatter to make a good fit.

Another important point is that the teeth must face outwards as this helps to stop it working out on the way to the MOT.

Of course, you must not drive the car on the road in this condition. This is just to get it through the MOT, you understand.

Edited by DeadSquare, 30 November 2018 - 08:04 PM.

#5 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:35 AM

When autocrossing, I used to swap the outer brackets for ones with a slot filed 3/16" backwards (any more and it showed at scrutineering), and by later, carefully undoing a butterfly nut so that it didn't quite grip, the radius arms were able to swing.

Mmmmm.   It got the back end out very nicely.

#6 jime17

jime17

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:21 PM

Have you greased it? Properly using a grease gun i mean. That will often take the play out of it.

#7 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:07 PM

If there is only a little bit of play you might just get away with changing the bar.

#8 Swift_General

Swift_General

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:18 PM

Obviously a new pin and bush is the ideal solution, however the pin always wears much faster than the bush, so you my find on disassembly a significant grove in the pin, and much of the play can be taken out simply by replacing the pin only. Otherwise if you are replacing the bush/bearing, if was me I would get minispares exchange items.

Edited by Swift_General, 30 November 2018 - 05:19 PM.

#9 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:30 PM

Obviously a new pin and bush is the ideal solution, however the pin always wears much faster than the bush, so you my find on disassembly a significant grove in the pin, and much of the play can be taken out simply by replacing the pin only. Otherwise if you are replacing the bush/bearing, if was me I would get minispares exchange items.

Some people wonder why a hard steel pin wears down, but the soft bronze bush doesn't.

The reason, is that if the bush is not regularly purged with grease, fine grit/road dust works in and embeds itself in the softer material so that every time movement takes place, it scratches away the harder shaft.

#10 Biggles1957

Biggles1957

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:30 PM

My Grandpa always used to tell me (back in the 1960's) that if a job is with doing, it is worth doing well.  I shall say no more but bodgers take heed!

#11 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 05:54 PM

My Grandpa always used to tell me (back in the 1960's) that if a job is with doing, it is worth doing well.  I shall say no more but bodgers take heed!

Very true, and your Grandpa was very wise to bring you up that way;  however, almost any fool can just replace bits, but it is so much more satisfying to do a good bodge that works !

#12 Biggles1957

Biggles1957

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:39 PM

Indeed - but hammering a bit of hacksaw blade in?? Really?? tsk tsk ;)

#13 Marc_mcq

Marc_mcq

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:26 PM

Thanks for all the replies!

I’ve tried greasing it with a grease gun. It’s made it a little better but there’s still quite a lot of play!

My mini actually qualifies for MOT exemption but I wanted someone to give it a once over for piece of mind so it wouldn’t really make sense to ‘bodge’ it really (although I’m a massive fan of the bodge normally... if it’s stupid and it works - it’s not stupid!). I think my best be is infact a refurbished minispares item. Can pick them up for ~£58 at the minute in the sale too!

Edited by Marc_mcq, 30 November 2018 - 07:27 PM.

#14 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for all the replies!

I’ve tried greasing it with a grease gun. It’s made it a little better but there’s still quite a lot of play!

My mini actually qualifies for MOT exemption but I wanted someone to give it a once over for piece of mind so it wouldn’t really make sense to ‘bodge’ it really (although I’m a massive fan of the bodge normally... if it’s stupid and it works - it’s not stupid!). I think my best be is infact a refurbished minispares item. Can pick them up for ~£58 at the minute in the sale too!

If you can pick up, first thing to do when you get there, is get a new shaft which you are going to need, and try it in the bush.  Might save you £58-00.

#15 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:27 PM

You can buy a 13/16" reamer for under £50 and a kit for less than £10.  Once you have a reamer you can do as many arm repairs as you like.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users