35 replies to this topic

#16 Marc_mcq

Marc_mcq

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:35 PM

You can buy a 13/16" reamer for under £50 and a kit for less than £10.  Once you have a reamer you can do as many arm repairs as you like.

This is something I would be interested in doing... if I change one, I’d probably end up changing both and there’s something satisfying about doing it yourself!

Pardon me if this is a stupid question but would it definitely be a 13/16th reamer I would be needing? I’d assumed that it would be an adjustable one and a lot of trail and error?

P.S. do you have a link?!

#17 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 01 December 2018 - 12:18 AM

Just Google "Buy 13/16" reamer".

There are several on there from around £45. Then buy a kit(s) from Mini Spares which has everything you will need.

You don't need a really expensive one because you will only be reaming one bush per arm.

There will be those who will say that you need a really long reamer, but so long as it will go through the arm, i.e. about 12" long, it'll be fine. That's what I have and I've been using it for around 25 years with good results.

In fact, the most difficult part of the job is getting the old bush and needle roller bearing out.

#18 Marc_mcq

Marc_mcq

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:30 AM

There are several on there from around £45. Then buy a kit(s) from Mini Spares which has everything you will need.
You don't need a really expensive one because you will only be reaming one bush per arm.
There will be those who will say that you need a really long reamer, but so long as it will go through the arm, i.e. about 12" long, it'll be fine. That's what I have and I've been using it for around 25 years with good results.
In fact, the most difficult part of the job is getting the old bush and needle roller bearing out.

Thanks for the advice!

#19 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:54 PM

Indeed - but hammering a bit of hacksaw blade in?? Really?? tsk tsk ;)

Quite right!

What's wrong with strips of Beer can?

I'm sure we've got quite a detailed topic on reaming radius arms somewhere. The challenge is get the bush reamed concentric with the needle bearing.

Also, if you ream from inside the arm, think about how you'll get the reamer out without wrecking the new bush. It'll likely involve a substitute for the bearing.

#20 NDT

NDT

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for the advice!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread... the arm is about 9" wide - so the reamer needs to be fairly long.

Most of the ones I've seen aren't that long?

#21 InnoCooperExport

InnoCooperExport

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 04 September 2019 - 05:36 PM

I read in Mini World someone has made a special tool for this, can't recall who right now but I can look it up.

#22 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:57 PM

In the mid 60's, I sub contracted making a batch of about 50 pilots for Cotswold Engineering in Cheltenham, that screwed on to an adjustable reamer.

I also made a one off for them, to cut the brass bush out to be replaced by a needle roller as used in the other end, which for some reason they wanted to cut left handed.

It is still about somewhere, because they dropped off a new shaft for the pilot, but never collected the tool.  I think it probably opens the tube out so far that there is nothing left and would cut into the actual radius arm.

#23 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for the advice!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread... the arm is about 9" wide - so the reamer needs to be fairly long.

Most of the ones I've seen aren't that long?

You actually need more than just a Reamer, it also needs a Pilot. That keeps the end that's being cut in line with the far end. Also, the Reamer at 13/16" will be tight or even grip the shaft, There needs to be 0.002" Clearance here, so the Reamer size needed is actually 0.8145" or use an adjustable type.

#24 NDT

NDT

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:20 PM

thanks all - that confirms what I thought.

I've seen a piloted adjustable reamer on ebay designed for the Mini, but it seems a bit pricey at £95 plus shipping.

I will probably get an adjustable one and get a local machine shop to knock up a pilot extension and bush for me.

#25 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:52 PM

Bodge jobs are us, 

I once heard someone fail on ball joints,  and they filled a grease gun with mixed P38 and inject it in,  the pink mix give it away

It is truly bloody amazing the bodge jobs people think of - and a bloody half hacksaw blade - No - and they are happy driving it !! ??

I sold a set of brake calipers once with the understanding they needed new seals, So - I split them in half and ejected the pistons to make life easier, he was really miffed and upset that I did it and sent me a message saying that he was not happy in the slightest what I had done.

Beggars belief the world we live in today.

#26 andyapanel

andyapanel

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:55 AM

My local mini man showed me ball joint pins that were rusted solid on a car that had just passed an MOT. Apparently because there was zero play, they passed.

I would just buy reconditioned arms in this case.

#27 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:57 AM

I'm sure we've got quite a detailed topic on reaming radius arms somewhere. The challenge is get the bush reamed concentric with the needle bearing.

A friend made a cutting/reaming tool from a knackered pin. Turned a chamfer on the end and cut two short spiral groves into it.

The job order is then remove the old bushing, drift in the new one, use the pin tool to rough the new bushing ID and finish with an adjustable reamer.

You leave the old needle bearing inplace to act as a support for the pin tool. Once the bulk of the material is removed the reamer isn't doing a lot of work so doesn't really need a pilot.

I've done a few arms with this setup and all have finished out really well.

#28 InnoCooperExport

InnoCooperExport

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:39 PM

This is the tool advertised in Mini World this month: https://www.ebay.co....lMAAOSwhE5cco7A

Looks like it would do the job. 

#29 NDT

NDT

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 02:12 PM

Looks like a time vs money choice then!

1. buy the tool above (and maybe sell back on ebay once finished

2. buy an adjustable reamer and get a pilot fitting made

3. buy an adjustable reamer do the rough cut with a home made rough cutter

#30 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 06 September 2019 - 02:23 PM

Looks like a time vs money choice then!

1. buy the tool above (and maybe sell back on ebay once finished

2. buy an adjustable reamer and get a pilot fitting made

3. buy an adjustable reamer do the rough cut with a home made rough cutter

4.  £99 exchange reconditioned pair

Edited by DeadSquare, 06 September 2019 - 02:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users